Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do we talk to ourselves?

Options
  • 14-12-2014 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Or am I the only one? Does everyone chat away to themselves in their own heads? I do it a lot. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

If I want to have an itelligent conversation, its the only way OP

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭waking dreams

I couldn't agree more. I rely on it a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

I couldn't agree more. I rely on it a lot.

Are you addressing Smidge now or just talking to yourself out loud?

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

Do you ever have to try control your facial expressions because of the one-sided conversation you are having in your head?

I do it a lot when I'm walking a long distance. Just start talking to myself in my head, making funny faces in response to it. People probably think I'm a nutter when they see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Talking to yourself is the first sign of madness ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

I think its when you reply back to yourself is the madness bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Jade182 wrote: »
    Do you ever have to try control your facial expressions because of the one-sided conversation you are having in your head?

I do it a lot when I'm walking a long distance. Just start talking to myself in my head, making funny faces in response to it. People probably think I'm a nutter when they see it.

They KNOW ur a nutter!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

I must be fairly mental so.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gidget

I usually do it to remind myself of things I've to do next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

When I do it, it's usually to slow down my thoughts so that I can think about whatever it is in a clearer and more focused manner.

EDIT: Just read the first post, this reply is more in regards to talking aloud to yourself. It still holds up for conversations in your head but is really just a pretty normal way of thinking then as far as I'm aware

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

you mean.................thinking?

When I do it, it's usually to slow down my thoughts so that I can think about whatever it is in a clearer and more focused manner.

Ah Jeesus, you're a Star!

I'll use that as my excuse from now on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I say things in my head. I don't expect a reply from myself though.

I thought that's what thinking was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Usually when I remember something I've said or done, especially when I've been a bit merry I say "oh god I can't believe I did that" out loud. Does that count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭berger89

I go over situations that have happened..
    I work in retail and have to deal with really the most unpleasant creatures ever and I just go through what I WANT to say to them, rather than what i originally said to them. Needless to say there are a few are expletives when I re-run the scenario in my head

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭waking dreams

Usually when I remember something I've said or done, especially when I've been a bit merry I say "oh god I can't believe I did that" out loud. Does that count?

It certainly does. Nothing worse than allowing your self to dwell over events, no one has ever changed history.

No. That's called 'The Fear'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

No. That's called 'The Fear'.

Yeah it's usually accompanied by my heart beating faster and my face going red:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭ratmouse

I was an only child for a very long time and I attribute that to me chatting away to myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

I talk to myself as everyone else is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭policarp

I talk to myself as everyone else is wrong.

You@re write.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

it helps put things into perspective and vocalise how we're feeling when theres no one around to lend an ear. like a verbal diary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

I do it all the time! It's perfectly normal. Isn't it, Rosie?

Yes, Rosie. You're grand.

Rosie Rant wrote: »
    I do it all the time! It's perfectly normal. Isn't it, Rosie?

Yes, Rosie. You're grand.

Now you're just ranting to yourself Rosie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

To keep myself calm and relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Do people only do it in their heads?

I talk to myself out loud, mainly in the car.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Do people only do it in their heads?

I talk to myself out loud, mainly in the car.

The amount of 'in my head' conversations that I have had in the shower aswell as the car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Or am I the only one? Does everyone chat away to themselves in their own heads? I do it a lot. :D

The reason why you talk to yourself is because you are talking to your higher-self - 'called your conciousness' as this will allow you to make correct choices to the best of your biological abilities. There is no harm in talking to your higher-self. parts of the brain have all information from your life, but can you access them all when needed ? i.e. what time did your flight depart from Dublin airport 3 years ago ? we are limited.

The reason why you talk to yourself is because you are talking to your higher-self - 'called your conciousness' as this will allow you to make correct choices to the best of your biological abilities. There is no harm in talking to your higher-self. parts of the brain have all information from your life, but can you access them all when needed ? i.e. what time did your flight depart from Dublin airport 3 years ago ? we are limited.

Certainly no harm. I think its common enough to do so actually.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

A related interesting phenomena is your lips moving when you read. Being dyslexic I sometimes do this, it's your speech centre engaging to deal with deficiencies in other areas. I suspect talking to one's self is related. I.e. a different part of the brain is engaged.

You fecking nut job you.

Advertisement