Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher/ordinary level English

Options
  • 14-12-2014 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

What is the difference between the leaving cert course for Honours and Ordinary level English? I'm in 6th year and I'm struggling with English, in particular the creative writing, and am considering dropping to ordinary level, but i think I've left it too late to drop. So is there much difference between the two courses and if so would I be able to catch up? We've finished our comparative and Othello and a good few poets so far

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brianroche07

The main difference is the poetry. For HL you study 6 poets and six of their poems, whereas in OL you study 36 poems from a range of poets. Definitely not too late to go to OL but check with your teacher what is best for you to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

The main difference is the poetry. For HL you study 6 poets and six of their poems, whereas in OL you study 36 poems from a range of poets. Definitely not too late to go to OL but check with your teacher what is best for you to do.

You still study the same amount of poems.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 brianroche07

Not necessarily always the case as some teachers only study 5 poets if they are stuck for time, but in most cases, yes you study the same amount of poems but they are a totally different selection of poems so someone who is changing to Ordinary level would need to learn a whole new set of poems. Can definitely be done though!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Laur33

My teacher said to my class that there's no point in dropping to OL if you're not failing or nearly failing exams. Very little people fail English in the LC anyway so it's definitely worth doing it because as you know the points are a lot higher for HL.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It's not mandatory to do a Shakespearean play at OL. Whereas at HL, it must be done either as a comparative or single text. Most teachers teach it as a single text.

I'm pretty sure you can do Othello at OL too, even though it's not mandatory. It would be too late to learn another single text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

One of my biggest regrets of doing my lc was the amount of work I put into English, I hated it and it made me panicky cos I wasn't confident at all, I put in hours and hours and hours in an attempt to boost my confidence and get a decent grade which I did (b2), didn't even end up using it for points and I knew I wasn't going to, I'm glad however that I didn't drop to ordinary level, you can achieve a good grade in p1 without study and pass p2 with minimal study so I would just do that if I were you, unless you struggle a lot and aren't passing homework essays

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

The poems are printed on the page, so if you have a halfway decent apt for the subject you could bluff answers to the questions. Just search for metaphors, imagery etc. There's always onomatopoeia or cacophony/euphony!

Some people are saying they learn 6 poems by 6 poets in HL. I don't really understand why they do that. I learned 5 poems by 8 poets so there was a full choice on the day :)

English isn't marked too hard either!

Advertisement