Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

army work experience.

Options
  • 13-12-2014 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Does anybody have any information on doing transition year work experience with the army? Do they take in work experience students and what would the week involve? Has anybody done it before or know someone who has, ive heard of a few who did it in baldonnel but none with the army , thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,098 ✭✭✭Mech1

no idea but following this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

We've had a few in our place on occasion. Usually they have been relations of members of the unit.

To be honest I would advise against it unless you can get to see a variety of different units on your week/fortnight. Security/safety restrictions and insurance considerations make the scope of possible military activities for work experience people very limited. If you are considering the DF as a career you would do much better enlisting in the RDF if/when you are of age to gain some insight into military life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Unlike John I'd advise you to go for it if you can get it.

My daughter done it twice, and although it didn't lead her onto a career in the DF (thank God, and I'm not joking) it was directly responsible for her seeing where her future lay and is in her first year in college doing a degree in that field.

She'd say her time on work experience with us was very positive.

One thing I'd be say, it really does depend on the unit you get and the relationship you build with the lads.. My daughters second stint was going really poorly until I pulled her out of a particular unit and brought her back into the original unit she'd done her work experience with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 whatsupebola

Unlike John I'd advise you to go for it if you can get it.

My daughter done it twice, and although it didn't lead her onto a career in the DF (thank God, and I'm not joking) it was directly responsible for her seeing where her future lay and is in her first year in college doing a degree in that field.

She'd say her time on work experience with us was very positive.

One thing I'd be say, it really does depend on the unit you get and the relationship you build with the lads.. My daughters second stint was going really poorly until I pulled her out of a particular unit and brought her back into the original unit she'd done her work experience with.

Thanks for the good answer just wondering why do you say thank god when it didnt lead her into a career with the DF? Also what did she do on a daily basis on work experience and where did she do it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 whatsupebola

John_D80 wrote: »
    We've had a few in our place on occasion. Usually they have been relations of members of the unit.

To be honest I would advise against it unless you can get to see a variety of different units on your week/fortnight. Security/safety restrictions and insurance considerations make the scope of possible military activities for work experience people very limited. If you are considering the DF as a career you would do much better enlisting in the RDF if/when you are of age to gain some insight into military life.

Id say the insurance and safety restrictions are strict but i doubt its a week of just pouring cups of tea for the lads , what did they do while on work experience?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Thanks for the good answer just wondering why do you say thank god when it didnt lead her into a career with the DF? Also what did she do on a daily basis on work experience and where did she do it ?

Well the new contracts and lower pay scale are sh*t, I'd advise anyone thinking of joining to reconsider ~ unless you REALLY want to be a soldier, in which case I'd advise going to the B.A.

Her work experience, I don't want to give the details here or it gives my unit away but she was kept busy and interested.

She enjoyed the craic & banter in the dining hall, she LOVED the army chicken curry lol.. Anyway having the craic and I asked the cook Sgt if he could show her around the kitchens, he was delighted and asked me to drop her over the next day.

This lead to her taking a Hetac level 6 course in Professional Cookery, which then lead onto her studying for a level 8 degree in Culinary Arts.

There's a lot more goes on in a barracks than bullets, polish and bullsh*t :D

I done my work experience in Cathal Brugha in around 2001/2002 for a week. I'd highly recommend it. We spent a day with some 2 stars in Kilbride training with them & taking part in their manoeuvres, done PT with them most mornings as well. We spent some time learning about the different weapons & generally getting a feel for military life.

We moved between units most days so spent time with lads from 2 cav & they brought us around the barracks in what I think were Panhards & some other type of armoured troop carrier.

At the end of the week we were asked to go to the glen of Imaal the following week with the 2 stars but the school nearly had a heart attack & quickly put an end to it. Was good craic & I think the lads who looked after us enjoyed showing off!

As far as I remember a few of us just wrote to the barracks asking if they accepted work experience students.

Advertisement