Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast on Huawei HG658C (Vodafone)

Options
  • 13-12-2014 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,459 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone managed to get Chromecast working on a Huawei HG658C router? I moved from Sky to Vodafone a while back, and I'm trying to get Chromecast working on it.

The Chromecast app can't see the device, and it directed me to this page.

UPnP is enabled. I can't find anything to do with Access Point Isolation, Client Isolation or Guest mode in the router settings. I can't see anything obvious in the manual for the router, or from a regular google search.

Am I snookered?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

Make sure your router isn't set to 5ghz wireless only.
    Chromecast only supports 2.4ghz wireless.

Maybe you can broadcast 2 SSIDs, one for each wireless protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,459 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I installed a wifi analyser on my phone, and the router is on channel 8, 2447MHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Are you trying to set it up using your phone or laptop? I set up mine a few months ago with my laptop and it went fine.

Phone/tablet, ideally.

I'll try my laptop later and see if that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 boscabruscair

Exact same problem with this router. I presumed it was UPnP and got onto Huawei and they sent me a list of instructions on how to change the settings which I did but no joy. The only thing they didn't specify how to change was the AP Isolation Mode. I'll ask them about that now but if anyone has any tips in the meantime it'd be much appreciated

• Advertisement

Just bumping this to see if anyone has found a solution? I might just have to fork out for a new router.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭deflemonkid

Just had this problem when i called over to my mates house with my chrome cast. Think it mite be something to do with the frequency the Chromecast works on. I was trying a few things until i tried changing the band width in the router settings from 20/40 to just 20Mhz.

Its under Bacsic and then wi-fi. Hope it works for ya.

Legend, deflemonkid! That actually worked. :)

Good stuff. Came across your thread when i was looking for the answer so i said i'd come back if i got the answer. Glad it worked mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Just had this problem when i called over to my mates house with my chrome cast. Think it mite be something to do with the frequency the Chromecast works on. I was trying a few things until i tried changing the band width in the router settings from 20/40 to just 20Mhz.

Glad I stumbled upon this post.

Funny thing is, I've had this router from Vodafone for a couple of years I reckon, and have had chromecast now for over a year but only today I came in from a run and was lobbing a movie on for the kids, and LocalCast couldn't find any chromecast at all.

Odd I thought, as it had worked flawlessly since I got it, but anyway, after a few reboots of both the chromecast and the phone (and the router) scratching my head I headed over here and found this thread.

I can only presume that either a firmware upgrade took place on either my device or router and knocked it off sync.

Anyway, sorted now and cheers for the solution.

• Advertisement

Glad I stumbled upon this post.

Funny thing is, I've had this router from Vodafone for a couple of years I reckon, and have had chromecast now for over a year but only today I came in from a run and was lobbing a movie on for the kids, and LocalCast couldn't find any chromecast at all.

Odd I thought, as it had worked flawlessly since I got it, but anyway, after a few reboots of both the chromecast and the phone (and the router) scratching my head I headed over here and found this thread.

I can only presume that either a firmware upgrade took place on either my device or router and knocked it off sync.

Anyway, sorted now and cheers for the solution.

Ya, i found it a bit odd myself as the last time i called over to the same mates house the chromecast worked flawlessly too and he's definitely not the type to even touch the router so i'm thinking maybe it was an automatic firmware update or something that caused the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Ya, i found it a bit odd myself as the last time i called over to the same mates house the chromecast worked flawlessly too and he's definitely not the type to even touch the router so i'm thinking maybe it was an automatic firmware update or something that caused the issue.

Home from work and the feckin yoke has thrown me off again, this time the culprit is most definitely the router.

For some reason it went and reverted those ports back to "20" and not "20/40" what's up with that :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Thank you! I was about to throw the whole lot of them out the window. Lost count of the factory resets I've done and this worked!!
    Edited to add this also works on the HG659

Advertisement