Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics vs Applied Maths?

Options
  • 13-12-2014 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I'm going to be deciding on my leaving cert subjects soon and I'm not sure if I'd rather take applied maths or economics. I plan to take Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I hear that applied maths helps with physics but I'm also interested in Economics. I figure if I do economics I'll know if it'd be a suitable career path for me.

Help appreciated..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭airbus125

I had to make that decision earlier this year, I also do physics except I do business and accounting instead of chemistry and biology which your planning to do. I chose economics purely because it was easier than applied maths for me. I was being very strategic and know I can do well in business subjects but your obviously good and/or like science subjects, so play to your strengths. Is the applied maths offered in your school or will you be doing outside school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Are you comfortable with rote learning? Have a look at the economics book and see if it suits you. Also look at the exam paper. There's very little skill/interpretation involved in Economics.

I do both Economics and Applied Maths (6th year) and I definitely prefer Applied Maths. Applied Maths is great if you already love problem solving in maths - very little of the course is "to be learned off" and more "apply your skills to this question". That said, it's usually a very fair exam and questions are almost always variations of past questions.

That said, you'll do well at Economics if you're good at just learning off points, which suits certain types of learners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Raspberry Fileds

Both syllabuses are comparatively short. For most, App Maths is more difficult (significantly so for many of that most). But for those who are more than averagely-good at maths, AM is preferable.

AM is a subject that almost all I know who did it found to be their most enjoyable. It's also really good prep for maths, engineerig and physics at university. Economics, by contrast, is a boring, un-mathematical introduction, which wouldn't really stand to you. It is, however, predictable and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Are you comfortable with rote learning? Have a look at the economics book and see if it suits you. Also look at the exam paper. There's very little skill/interpretation involved in Economics.

I do both Economics and Applied Maths (6th year) and I definitely prefer Applied Maths. Applied Maths is great if you already love problem solving in maths - very little of the course is "to be learned off" and more "apply your skills to this question". That said, it's usually a very fair exam and questions are almost always variations of past questions.

That said, you'll do well at Economics if you're good at just learning off points, which suits certain types of learners.

Not necessarily true. If you don't understand what you're learning in Economics, you can forget about getting anything over a B3. Look at the exam papers, the part (c) of the long questions always test actual understanding of topics to seperate A1 students from the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

thelad95 wrote: »
    Not necessarily true. If you don't understand what you're learning in Economics, you can forget about getting anything over a B3. Look at the exam papers, the part (c) of the long questions always test actual understanding of topics to seperate A1 students from the rest.

You're right. They're very much take-a-swing-able/common sense however, and that's reflected in the marking scheme.

Applied Maths questions on the other hand contain fundamental barriers to answers in the form of curveballs, which can be quite upsetting for some people. Economics IMO is the more reliable subject if you're willing to just work hard at it. On the other hand a lot can go down the drain with applied maths on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Enhaha

I'm currently doing economics outside of school, while my school offers applied maths as and extra subject. I love economics, but I am paying €30 a week to do it in a grind school so the teacher is fabulous. Economics really rewards people who study the marking schemes, and the course is SO short. A few of my friends do applied maths. The ones that are A maths students are sticking with it but the class has halved since the start of the year.
    Hope this was helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tommyoz

I appreciate the replies, I think I'm going to take applied maths.

Advertisement