Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pay difference between vec and other schools?

Options
  • 13-12-2014 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

I am a NQT and was wondering whats the pay difference between a etb and other schools in regards the pay scales?

Also on etb application forms it asks for a statement of employment if one was working pre 2011, for inquiries sake would a payroll payslip from a date previous to 2011 cover this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

dalalada wrote: »
    I am a NQT and was wondering whats the pay difference between a etb and other schools in regards the pay scales?

Also on etb application forms it asks for a statement of employment if one was working pre 2011, for inquiries sake would a payroll payslip from a date previous to 2011 cover this?

Whether you are paid by the ETB or the Department, you'd be on the same rate.

Are you an NQT? Because if you are, then you wouldn't have a pay slip pre-2011?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭dalalada

sitstill wrote: »

I am a nqt. I know but for the sake of it would a payslip do? Seen it on the app form so got curious as i know of others doing out the form too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

dalalada wrote: »
    I am a nqt. I know but for the sake of it would a payslip do? Seen it on the app form so got curious as i know of others doing out the form too

You would need to request a Statement of Service from the Department or the ETB.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

sitstill wrote: »

i was subbing in a waterford &wetb school last year and i got paid unqualified rate for subbing all subjects bar my own two .............infuriating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

gavwaldo wrote: »
    i was subbing in a waterford &wetb school last year and i got paid unqualified rate for subbing all subjects bar my own two .............infuriating

I'm not being funny...

Why would you be paid the qualified rate if you're not qualified?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭gavwaldo

I'm not being funny...

Why would you be paid the qualified rate if you're not qualified?

its just that when you sub dif subjects than other your own in schools that the dept of ed pays for you do get a qualified rate. with all the extra cuts after cuts after cuts that new entrants have taken it's just sore to take. i'm not for a second implying that pre 2011 qualified teachers haven't taken horrible blows as well.

gavwaldo wrote: »
    its just that when you sub dif subjects than other your own in schools that the dept of ed pays for you do get a qualified rate. with all the extra cuts after cuts after cuts that new entrants have taken it's just sore to take. i'm not for a second implying that pre 2011 qualified teachers haven't taken horrible blows as well.

Really!

I'm ETB and it has been the case for a long time that you get the unqualified rate for subbing in a subject other than your own.

I wasn't aware that the secondary sector was different.

We have all been cut, post 2011 staff get the unqualified rate also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

This is a major problem as I see it. In ETB if you are deemed unqualified for more than half your timetable the whole lot is paid at unqualified rate. That's totally unacceptable imo. NQTs are being given a couple of hours of their own and then if they pick up a few more hours SPHE, CSPE or whatever then their pay is affected.

In my etb that's not the case you get the qualified rate for all of your hours to the best of my knowledge. I'll look into it today to be sure.

If you had an 8 hour contract you're saying that even if you were paid the qualified rate for that, on a week where you subbed for an absent teacher with a different subject up to 22 hours you'd be paid unqualified rate for all hours that week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

ya that sounds a bit wrong (in the ethical sense)
    like theres teachers up and down the country teaching subjects (not subbing, but regular permanent hours) they arent qualified in, but getting the full whack.
    The 'needs of the school' should over-rule the unqualified rate in both scenarios. I thought you can't have 2 people doing the same job and getting different pay (leaving aside seniority increments).
    One for the Union I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭dalalada

If you worked unqualified pre 2011 and now qualified starting off would you be entitled to new or old payscale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

In my etb that's not the case you get the qualified rate for all of your hours to the best of my knowledge. I'll look into it today to be sure.

If you had an 8 hour contract you're saying that even if you were paid the qualified rate for that, on a week where you subbed for an absent teacher with a different subject up to 22 hours you'd be paid unqualified rate for all hours that week?

I'm not sure how day to day subbing is worked. This is for contracted hours if they are not pro-rata (as in you are not paid for holidays). So you're given a timetable with 2 hours maths (your subject) and 2.5 hours SPHE/CSPE/library/whatever. You are paid the unqualified rate for all 5.5 hours. We've had teachers ending up battling with the TC to clarify what does qualified mean for TY modules and LCA subjects like Hair and Beauty.

Advertisement