Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millionaire Sponge

Options
  • 13-12-2014 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

A good friend of mine received a gift of a substantial amount of money from a family member who had won the lotto a couple of years ago - lets just say the jackpot rolled over a couple of times! ;)

I am genuinely happy for the family, as they are decent folk - however, while chatting to the friend lately, it came to light that my friend is still receiving back to education allowance despite having quite a lot of money in the bank.

Of course I was taken aback by hearing this, and to be honest it's kind of made me "go off" this friend. I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on this as I'd like to think any reasonable person would immediately cut themselves off any sort of government benefit. Or, are the majority of people just fuelled by greed...?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Sounds like your jealous op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Sounds like your jealous op.

Not at all - Like I said, I'm happy for the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The system is so fcked. If he had any honour he'd inform the relevant authorities about his change in circumstances and have the aid stopped. He should do it for his country.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

It depends on the amount really. Let's say he has 3 years left in college that would be what? €20k? If he got a gift of around that it'd be hard to expect him to give it up. of course if he got €250k I'd agree with you.

ziedth wrote: »
    It depends on the amount really. Let's say he has 3 years left in college that would be what? €20k? If he got a gift of around that it'd be hard to expect him to give it up. of course if he got €250k I'd agree with you.

Times that 250k by 4 or 5 - it was a big jackpot! But yeah, I always thought the government would be clued up of things like that. Such as who's won the state lotto and needs their benefits cut off!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

To be honest, if he was as good a friend of yours as you describe you wouldn't be on here bitchin about him, you'd say it to his face.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Blame the system, not your friend. Is it morally questionable? Of course. But, like a lot of people, he saw an opportunity and took it. If he actually is a potential millionaire himself I'm not sure why he'd even go to the effort for what would be considered pocket change to him though. Similar to stories we heard before about parents making >€100k/year claiming children's allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

there is a benefit culture in ireland among some sections of society. some people will take absolutely everything they can get regardless of their bank balance. when there are constant stories in the news about our leaders getting all sorts of expenses it's hardly surprising to see others follow. joyce was right, irish people have a similar mentality to jewish people regarding money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Even lotto threads are dole threads. It's getting hard to escape them :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

You are a terrible friend :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Cheap ba5tard. Him, not you OP. Leave him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

It's just the way the system is. I don't think you're jealous of it (pretty easily thrown out accusation), I think you're just wondering how he's able to avail of this, but he is, so he's not doing anything officially wrong - even though he hardly needs it.
    Dunno if it's an Irish thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

He probably had a good chunk of the money he got taken away from him with gift tax, so he's happy to be getting some back.

And why not, it's not as if we get value for money for our taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

You do know that this sort or cheating the "system" is exactly why we dont get value for our taxes?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

10,000 euro the bank reports deposit to goverment

It's just the way the system is. I don't think you're jealous of it (pretty easily thrown out accusation), I think you're just wondering how he's able to avail of this

Exactly this, I have nothing to be jealous of. I live abroad so it's not like my taxes are going into his pocket. I just think it's messed up as I know plenty of people at home struggling on a daily basis when there's people raping the system - I was just a bit disappointed to know someone doing it is all, and wondering how it's possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If you're a good friend say it to him.

gandalf wrote: »
    If you're a good friend say it to him.

I have - the subject was changed pretty quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I don't understand why people have these ethical dilemmas.

Look, we pay all these fancy politicians a LOT of money to run this country. If you have a problem with how the system works, blame them....not the individuals that are part of the system they've created.

If your friend legitimately qualifies for some social benefit, he or she *should* take it. That's the system we've setup and they are entitled to it.

If your friend doesn't qualify and is committing fraud to obtain benefits illegally you have two options - pick one or both.
    * Blame you friend for being a filthy liar. Report him or her to the appropriate authorities.
    * Blame the politicians for setting up a system that people can defraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Dr.Sanchez wrote: »
    Not at all - Like I said, I'm happy for the family.

So happy you came on here to spread the good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Dr.Sanchez wrote: »
    I have - the subject was changed pretty quickly!

Hmmm I'd throw in a phrase randomly "Would you shop someone getting benefit they didn't deserve?" and see how that goes down then. But then again I tend to stir the ****e alot just for the fun of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

He probably had a good chunk of the money he got taken away from him with gift tax, so he's happy to be getting some back.

Gift tax! You sir need a better accountant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 277 ✭✭BBJBIG

What's the problem ?
    Shuren - don't we pay Dinny O'Brien squillions just to rip us off - so that he can get even more squillions out of us.

Biffo n Bertie - at least 150,000 Shamrocks a year goldplated pensions after foooookin up the country - and scratching their balls all day long.
    Biffo is only around 54 - what if the kunt lives to be foooookin 90 !!! Jayzus ... FFSakes ...
    And the current shower will walk away smiling too - with more goldplated pensions - curtosy of the Taxpayer.
    And that will probably be at the next election. Soon.

It starts at the top.

"Adding the half pence to the pence and prayer to shivering prayer until you've dried the marrow from the bone" (Yeats).

Meanwhile, people die on the streets ; or are abused by Thicks in state nursing homes.
    And that's just last weeks News.

The bondholders, bankers and developers won't go hungry either .... or unable to afford rising Rents.

Much wants more. You couldn't make this stuff up ...

Off with their testicles.
    Bring back the rope.

So ... leave your friend alone.
    He would make a fine politician or gombeen businessman someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

The system helping the rich get richer.

What a great system.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

afatbollix wrote: »
    The system helping the rich get richer.

What a great system.

Engage son, there's money out there to be made

Advertisement