Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your luckiest winner

Options
  • 13-12-2014 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

This day three years ago I backed Garde Champetre in the cross country race at Cheltenham I still laugh thinking of it. Horse was eighth or so and well beaten near the end when seven horses in front of him took the wrong course, camera zooms back to him who is left to cross the line. Needless to say was matched at 1000 in the run. Only time I ever backed a horse where the word 'lucky' was in the post race comments

Anyone who backed the winner of the first at Donny today would know the feeling

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Needless to say was matched at 1000 in the run. Only time I ever backed a horse where the word 'lucky' was in the post race comments

Did you get the 999/1?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

I wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

This day three years ago I backed Garde Champetre in the cross country race at Cheltenham I still laugh thinking of it. Horse was eighth or so and well beaten near the end when seven horses in front of him took the wrong course, camera zooms back to him who is left to cross the line. Needless to say was matched at 1000 in the run. Only time I ever backed a horse where the word 'lucky' was in the post race comments

Anyone who backed the winner of the first at Donny today would know the feeling

I was only saying to one of the lads yesterday that you could see smart freddy winning that race thinking the Ferguson horse was back from a break and clondaw kaempfer would be running for a mark! Didn't quiet pan out that way but he won none the less..no cash on unfortunately!

I backed fergusons first grade 1 winner if I can recall he was very fortunate 2 horses falling at the last hampering another horse

• Registered Users Posts: 16,406 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Had a big bet on Salsify in the Cheltenham foxhunter last year when it looked beat into second. 150 yards from the line, Oscar Delta unseated Jane Mangan allowing my horse to win. Perhaps not the luckiest winner, but lucky cause the money involved for me was big.

Papillon in the 2001 Grand National was another memorable one. It fell but was then remounted and managed to place.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭handsfree2

ste2010 wrote: »
    I was only saying to one of the lads yesterday that you could see smart freddy winning that race thinking the Ferguson horse was back from a break and clondaw kaempfer would be running for a mark! Didn't quiet pan out that way but he won none the less..no cash on unfortunately!

I backed fergusons first grade 1 winner if I can recall he was very fortunate 2 horses falling at the last hampering another horse

Ruacana, synmore fell hampering Kentucky Hayden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Had a big bet on Salsify in the Cheltenham foxhunter last year when it looked beat into second. 150 yards from the line, Oscar Delta unseated Jane Mangan allowing my horse to win. Perhaps not the luckiest winner, but lucky cause the money involved for me was big.

Papillon in the 2001 Grand National was another memorable one. It fell but was then remounted and managed to place.
    That had to be the luckiest one ever..jumped the last and home and hosed..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Had 200 win treble on Bobs Worth, At Fishers Cross and Salsify, never celebrated so much when Jane unseated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Had Oscar Delta backed that day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

I was watching some stupid midweek race at Atr about 2 years ago, and noticed a slow starter in a NH flat race. He wasn't that far behind in a donkey race so i went to put a place bet on betfair at what looked decent odds of 70/1 in running.

He rallied to finished well to take 3rd and imagine the shock i got when i discovered that i had actually got 570/1 instead, as someone had just laid that price as i clicked.. Luckbox isn't the word..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Hi Cloy in the Grade 1 at Leopardstown when Loughran mistook the winning post on Central House.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Eugene O'Sullivan's Lovely Citizen winning the 1992 Foxhunters when Dun Gay Lass' saddle slipped and he just got up before the line. 14/1 and 16/1 bets were had.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DylanAFC

Nothing really to do with the race but, grand national day this year I went into PP and said to myself whatever the first number out on the roulette board is, I'll back that number for the national. Number 29, Pieneau De Rae.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

Salsify for me. Had it backed ante post n had 3 up on L15 with him to go. My biggest winner ever and my luckiest!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Sharastani in the 1986 Derby, he should have lost to the brave who was a better horse but didn't and sent me on a winning streak. I played up the winnings on the French Horse Saint Estephe in the Coronation Cup the next day when I was tempted by 6/1 in the morning prices, but figured the English wouldn't appreciate the French form, he drifted to 20/1 and won. On the Saturday after that I had a nice accumulator up on the football followed by a Pat Eddery treble mid week which paid £200 for a few pound and finished up with another accumulator on the football.

The bookie was sick of looking at my face.:)

I backed a Toby Balding chaser EW at 33/1 in a novice chase, figuring at least he'd jump safely and get around while the fancied horses were likely to crash out. Three fences to go and he was a fence back in fourth. The leader fell at the next and my hopes were up, then the new leader fell at the second last and the other horse had the race at his mercy as my plodder was beginning to motor. Last fence and the other horse clouted it knocking the stuffing out of himself and my 33/1 shot literally nailed him on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

tryfix wrote: »
    Sharastani in the 1986 Derby, he should have lost to the brave who was a better horse but didn't and sent me on a winning streak. I played up the winnings on the French Horse Saint Estephe in the Coronation Cup the next day when I was tempted by 6/1 in the morning prices, but figured the English wouldn't appreciate the French form, he drifted to 20/1 and won. On the Saturday after that I had a nice accumulator up on the football followed by a Pat Eddery treble mid week which paid £200 for a few pound and finished up with another accumulator on the football.

The bookie was sick of looking at my face.:)

I backed a Toby Balding chaser EW at 33/1 in a novice chase, figuring at least he'd jump safely and get around while the fancied horses were likely to crash out. Three fences to go and he was a fence back in fourth. The leader fell at the next and my hopes were up, then the new leader fell at the second last and the other horse had the race at his mercy as my plodder was beginning to motor. Last fence and the other horse clouted it knocking the stuffing out of himself and my 33/1 shot literally nailed him on the line.

Brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Mon Mome in the 2009 Grand National @ 85-1 also had second place too but cant remember who that was.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

Rebel fitz in galway, Davies premature celebration but somehow he managed to hang on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

racso1975 wrote: »
    Mon Mome in the 2009 Grand National @ 85-1 also had second place too but cant remember who that was.

Ridiculous, how could anyone in their right mind call that win lucky? There were about 20 in contention with 5 to jump and Treadwell delivered him at exactly the right time and he scooted clear.

He was my only bet of the race at 100s, real shame Treadwell didn't get the leg up in his next two Nationals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Irish Champion Stakes 2002
    I had a €30 treble running on Grandera. When they passed the line I said something that sounded like bucket.
    I watched it again on Youtube a few minutes ago. He was never in the race until the last inch. I'm still not convinced Grandera won. Anyway €1,100 to me from Paddy Power on course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Cyborgo 8/1 somehow beating Monalee River and Large Action 4/9 in a Martell novice hurdle at Aintree in 1994 after the Cheltenham meeting. I remember i sneaked out to watch it and the going was bog like, probably the worst ive seen. The meeting was in doubt throughout the day but the went anyway going through puddles and big splash back. Cyborgo a dedicated front runner was again making it for a long time as i remember but he was caught and passed by Monalee River and Large action a long way out, Monalee River going by far the best not even off the bridle. I bailed out before the end of the race as Cyborgo was never coming back after being passed. After work i went to check the days results board in general in the bookies window through the closed shutters to see did Large Action catch Monalee River only to find Cyborgo marked up the winner!. What the!!. Took me ages to unfold the docket that must have been twisted into a contorted knot in-running!. I still dont know how he done it and i havent found a replay since!

EDIT: Just found it!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26pAyLFgCWw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Chicago grey in cheltenham about 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Got a tip at Bangor a few weeks ago for a horse called Kilmurvy, was 20 lengths 4th coming to the second last, horse in front blundered and unseated, the second horse swerved and unseated, was neck and neck with the 3rd horse who was then hampered a bit and Kilmurvy went on to win by a length and a bit. One of the luckiest winners I've ever witnessed.
    1st Kilmurvy (IRE) 11-2 T J O'Brien J Scott 6 7/4f
    Tracked leaders, ridden 4 out, outpaced by leading pair 3 out, 10 lengths down when left clear last, ridden out (lucky winner) opened 7/4 touched 15/8
    2nd 1¼ Who Owns Me (IRE) 11-8 Mr H A A Bannister (5) M W Easterby 8 15/2
    Tracked leader until ridden 3 out, soon outpaced by leading pair, left with every chance at last, kept on one pace opened 11/1 touched 12/1
    3rd 6 Volcanic 11-12 J M Maguire D McCain Jnr 5 9/1
    Close up in rear, hit 3rd, ridden and no impression 3 out, left 3rd at last opened 7/1 touched 9/1
    F Lower Hope Dandy 10-8 L Treadwell Miss V Williams 7 2/1
    Led, ridden clear 2 out, race at mercy when blundered and fell last opened 2/1 touched 9/4
    UR Serienschock (GER) 11-8 L Heard D Pipe 6 5/1
    Tracked leaders, chased leader 3 out, 8 lengths down when left clear approaching last, jumped sharply right and unseated rider opened 5/1 touched 5/1

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Pinesky

califano wrote: »
    Cyborgo 8/1 somehow beating Monalee River and Large Action 4/9 in a Martell novice hurdle at Aintree in 1994 after the Cheltenham meeting. I remember i sneaked out to watch it and the going was bog like, probably the worst ive seen. The meeting was in doubt throughout the day but the went anyway going through puddles and big splash back. Cyborgo a dedicated front runner was again making it for a long time as i remember but he was caught and passed by Monalee River and Large action a long way out, Monalee River going by far the best not even off the bridle. I bailed out before the end of the race as Cyborgo was never coming back after being passed. After work i went to check the days results board in general in the bookies window through the closed shutters to see did Large Action catch Monalee River only to find Cyborgo marked up the winner!. What the!!. Took me ages to unfold the docket that must have been twisted into a contorted knot in-running!. I still dont know how he done it and i havent found a replay since!

just as well there was no Betfair then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

califano wrote: »

Just watched that replay. That was fantastic,imagine you stayed on to watch that finish live

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Just watched that replay. That was fantastic,imagine you stayed on to watch that finish live

I think my ticket would have disintegrated in my hand!. I knew it must have been some turn around but just seeing it there it was hard to believe.

Advertisement