Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Digital Generation

Options
  • 13-12-2014 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

I may be getting cynical in my 33 years, dont get me wrong the internet is an amazing and powerful tool, when used correctly. It's has been a significant and historical step in human evolution, culturally and socially, but with the advent of social media the majority are just too concerned with their digital egos and not actually experiencing life and enjoying things for what they are outside of their digital devices.

This man explains it better than I ever could:

http://youtu.be/xSSDeesUUsU

I've seen it myself and I'm sure you all have too, but after seeing the below from a recent concert that was on TV while flicking channels I realized how bad it was getting

http://s8.postimg.org/ytpnphxsl/image.jpg
    http://s8.postimg.org/e8avxlg7p/image.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Overflow wrote: »
    I may be getting cynical in my 33 years, dont get me wrong the internet is an amazing and powerful tool, when used correctly. It's has been a significant and historical step in human evolution, culturally and socially, but with the advent of social media the majority are just too concerned with their digital egos and not actually experiencing life and enjoying things for what they are outside of their digital devices.

And you're experiencing life to the full on Boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Thumbs up for the two people in that photo who actually know how to use their phone camera properly. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

And you're experiencing life to the full on Boards?

You got me, I can be such a hypocrite, with my 0.30 posts per day average.

[Takes selfie posting this to put on Facebook]

Custardpi wrote: »

Thumbs up for the two people in that photo who actually know how to use their phone camera properly. :D

3 actually

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

What is experiencing life? To me finding new things on the internet is just as much experiencing life as anything else.

Cameras at events for more than a min or two is a totally different.

• Advertisement

The digital age has made christmas shopping much harder!

Tablets do everything, there a book, camera, newspaper, music player, tv, video camera etc!

Cant buy albums because everyone downloads.

Cant buy movies because everyone downloads.

Im finding it harder and harder to shop for Christmas!

GarIT wrote: »
    What is experiencing life? To me finding new things on the internet is just as much experiencing life as anything else.

Don't focus too much on the wording, but more the context of the post :rolleyes:

3 actually

Looking at it again I think it might be 4. One of them is a bit unclear though so can't be sure. Tis a sign of progress anyway.

Don't focus too much on the wording, but more the context of the post :rolleyes:

I was more asking the philosophical question of what is experiencing life. We can all find wonder in different things.

I've already added more to my last post re the content in the OP.

Looking at it again I think it might be 4. One of them is a bit unclear though so can't be sure. Tis a sign of progress anyway.

Hmmm I still think there is a huge market for vertically orientated wide screen tv's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

To me finding new things on the internet is just as much experiencing life as anything else.

Ah now.

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Ah now.

Care to explain or just make a one line statement?

Just today I've seen high res closeup pictures of most of our solar system, most people of the last generation will never have experienced that in their life.

Did you know that there are more words available on the internet than all of the words that have ever been physically written or printed. A lot of it is crap but there is more knowledge on the internet than there is on any other medium.

Tablets do everything, there a book, camera, newspaper, music player, tv, video camera etc!

Simple (though possibly morally dubious) solution to this. Once you've decided the people you're buying presents for, secretly borrow their laptop/tablet & "accidently" delete all their music/ebooks & cancel their spotify/netflix subscriptions. Maybe wipe the hard drive completely to be sure. Then figure out someway to disable their internet access, thus returning them to a pre-online world & making them much easier to shop for.

Hmmm I still think there is a huge market for vertically orientated wide screen tv's.

Shouldn't that be tall screen tv's?:confused:

I was more asking the philosophical question of what is experiencing life. We can all find wonder in different things.

I've already added more to my last post re the content in the OP.

Perhaps you should start your own on that basis.

Shouldn't that be tall screen tv's?:confused:

That much more marketable, your hired.

Perhaps you should start your own on that basis.

Oh sorry I thought this was a discussion. I suppose I'll leave and let you get back to experiencing life through your tv.

Oh sorry I thought this was a discussion. I suppose I'll leave and let you get back to experiencing life through your tv.

Ah now.

Care to explain or just make a one line statement?

Okay.
    To me finding new things on the internet is just as much experiencing life as anything else.

Finding things on the internet is not experiencing life - it's finding things on the internet.
    Just today I've seen high red closeup pictures of most of our solar system, most people of the last generation will never have experienced that in their life.

That's a virtual experience at best. A real experience would be looking at the planets through a telescope.
    Did you know that there are more words available on the internet than all of the words that have ever been physically written or printed. A lot of it is crap but there is more knowledge on the internet than there is on any other medium.

Yes, it's absolutely fantastic that we have so much information at our fingertips. Last January when we had the storms you could be listening to pilots diverting, watching their progress on flightradar.com, watching boats dashing for shelter on marinetraffic.com, and getting blow-by-blow updates on people's roof tiles blowing off on boards.ie, brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

today I was thinking how great it would have been if my mother had been able to communicate through text when I was growing up. Those fifteen smiley faces that she manages to cram into every text now would have brought us much closer together when I was a teenager.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

image.jpg

I count 3 people who aren't fuking idiots and know how to correctly record video with their phones in that photo

pharmaton wrote: »
    today I was thinking how great it would have been if my mother had been able to communicate through text when I was growing up. Those fifteen smiley faces that she manages to cram into every text now would have brought us much closer together when I was a teenager.

Next time you see her face to face just FaceTime her face to your FaceTime face, all will be healed and she will finally understand you.

It's truly amazing. We went from queueing at phone boxes to sending photos across the globe in a couple of seconds on a GPS enabled multi-function handheld device in less than a generation.

Next time you see her face to face just FaceTime her face to your FaceTime face, all will be healed and she will finally understand you.

The word face has lost all meaning now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

The word face has lost all meaning now

I love her smiley faces :o I feel like I waited 30 years but I finally get her and she makes me smile everyday

It's truly amazing. We went from queueing at phone boxes to sending photos across the globe in a couple of seconds on a GPS enabled multi-function handheld device in less than a generation.

Yet nobody is happy :)

http://youtu.be/uEY58fiSK8E

Start putting links in your Christmas cards ?

Profit...

Okay.

Finding things on the internet is not experiencing life - it's finding things on the internet.

That's a virtual experience at best. A real experience would be looking at the planets through a telescope.

Yes, it's absolutely fantastic that we have so much information at our fingertips. Last January when we had the storms you could be listening to pilots diverting, watching their progress on flightradar.com, watching boats dashing for shelter on marinetraffic.com, and getting blow-by-blow updates on people's roof tiles blowing off on boards.ie, brilliant.

So how is looking through a low powered telescope at a planet 2 billion miles away and at best getting a blurred image of a small circle a better experience than seeing the surface of a planet in high detail through a high powered telescope much closer to the planet than earth.

So how is looking through a low powered telescope at a planet 2 billion miles away and at best getting a blurred image of a small circle a better experience than seeing the surface of a planet in high detail through a high powered telescope much closer to the planet than earth.

The fact that you didn't look through the 'high powered' telescope and seen it on a website.

Even if it was a dot with your low power telescope, you seen it, you located it and knew what it was.

• Advertisement

I love the images we've been getting from Hubble, Curiosity and Cassini. It's nice that I see them with the click of a button.

Regardless a couple of months ago I was up in my Brother's back yard looking at Jupiter and its moons through a telescope and it was pretty cool knowing that I was observing a planet and its moons that are about 400 million miles away with my own eye.

Real life > virtual life.

Advertisement