Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much notice?

Options
  • 12-12-2014 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

A friend of mine has told me that a developer/landlord has issued 28 day eviction notices to around 20 residential units. One of the families is only 4 months into the tenancy and others have been there for 4, or more years. For most, it has been a shock and many of the renters are not Irish, so don't know about the prtb, which I mentioned. I am told that the developer is looking to sell the units, but it's a bit unfair evicting people with this notice at this time of year. Is there anything they can do? Can the landlord break the contract and would it be fair to be compensated for such a breach?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

goz83 wrote: »
    A friend of mine has told me that a developer/landlord has issued 28 day eviction notices to around 20 residential units. One of the families is only 4 months into the tenancy and others have been there for 4, or more years. For most, it has been a shock and many of the renters are not Irish, so don't know about the prtb, which I mentioned. I am told that the developer is looking to sell the units, but it's a bit unfair evicting people with this notice at this time of year. Is there anything they can do? Can the landlord break the contract and would it be fair to be compensated for such a breach?

The landlord cannot shorten the legal notice period, its well in advance of 28 days for people over a year, and nearly 120 days I think for longer stays,

get them to refuse the notice , and bring it to the attention of the PTRB immediately.

Then get them to access a solicitor and get him to write immediately to the landlord.

The tenants can voluntary accept a shorter period, but cannot be forced to do so.

don't let time pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Plus, if they signed leases they were (likely, in my experience) for a full year without a break clause so they can't be evicted until the end of that year unless they're otherwise violating the lease terms / not paying rent

Definitely get them to seek specific advice from the PRTB or Threshold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭anonyanony

BoatMad wrote: »
    The landlord cannot shorten the legal notice period, its well in advance of 28 days for people over a year, and nearly 120 days I think for longer stays,

get them to refuse the notice , and bring it to the attention of the PTRB immediately.

Then get them to access a solicitor and get him to write immediately to the landlord.

The tenants can voluntary accept a shorter period, but cannot be forced to do so.

don't let time pass.

Is there not a way it can be shortened if the place has being repoed by the bank even you lease become null in void

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

anonyanony wrote: »
    Is there not a way it can be shortened if the place has being repoed by the bank even you lease become null in void

The lease doesn't automatically become null and void because of a change in ownership, you just have a new landlord or agent for the landlord. That is not to say that the contract isn't voidable, but that is dependent on the situation and would be dealt with on a case by case basis.

As for termination by the landlord OP - you can find some information on that in the link below.

http://www.threshold.ie/advice/ending-a-tenancy/how-your-landlord-may-end-your-tenancy/

Advertisement