Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 plus refurbished?

Options
  • 12-12-2014 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I recently sent my iPhone 6 Plus to Apple for repair. After checking the repair status, it said product replacement pending. I was just if I'm likely to get a new or refurbished model?
    I'm hoping its a new and not a refurbished. Do Apple even have refurbished models yet since the iPhone 6 has only been out for 2 months?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

To be honest, I doubt you'd find any differences between new and refurb...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Depends on what they have in stock. Let us know when you find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

If it is remanufactured the outside will be new at any rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭BMmeow

is there a way to tell if its refurbished or new?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭bilbot79

You'll get a new one and they will sell yours as a refurbished one to someone else

• Advertisement

BMmeow wrote: »
    is there a way to tell if its refurbished or new?!

How long did you have your phone? Did you send the box and accessories back or just the phone?

mad muffin wrote: »
    How long did you have your phone? Did you send the box and accessories back or just the phone?

I had the phone since September. They sent me a box that I just put the phone in by itself!

I had the phone since September. They sent me a box that I just put the phone in by itself!

I would say then it's going to be remanufactured. But don't worry.

It's going to be as good as new.

mad muffin wrote: »
    I would say then it's going to be remanufactured. But don't worry.

It's going to be as good as new.

oh no! :P do they put a new casing on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

thats what my 5s said " product replacement pending " got a refurb , and to be honest its the same as new !! better actually as my 5s had a few nicks and scratches ,

whats your 6+ being repaired for ? if its a quick easy fix for them thel return the same phone repaired , if not a refurb ( basically brand new)

i sent mine off in October on a Monday , and UPS delivered it back by friday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Might be better off with refurbished. I've had 2 iphone 6's and a 6 plus all 3 with manufacturing problems. Refurbs get a more thorough test.

oh no! :P do they put a new casing on it?

Yes. New case. New screen. Anything that was faulty will also be new.

pudzey101 wrote: »
    thats what my 5s said " product replacement pending " got a refurb , and to be honest its the same as new !! better actually as my 5s had a few nicks and scratches ,

whats your 6+ being repaired for ? if its a quick easy fix for them thel return the same phone repaired , if not a refurb ( basically brand new)

i sent mine off in October on a Monday , and UPS delivered it back by friday :)

its a single crack in the screen, i haven't heard of anyone getting it repaired i think its easier to hand out a replacement!

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Might be better off with refurbished. I've had 2 iphone 6's and a 6 plus all 3 with manufacturing problems. Refurbs get a more thorough test.

oh wow thats insane and in such a short time!? what were the issues? are you still using an iPhone 6/plus?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

No difference between new and refurbished. No worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

What came back, and how long did it take from phoning up Apple to getting your phone back? I have a similar iPhone6P issue and am wondering if its too late to kick off this process and still have the handset back for Christmas...
    its a single crack in the screen, i haven't heard of anyone getting it repaired i think its easier to hand out a replacement!

oh wow thats insane and in such a short time!? what were the issues? are you still using an iPhone 6/plus?

I rang them on monday last week (that takes a while on the phone i will admit, especially if you get an american who doesn't understand irish addresses or names), received a box on wednesday, posted it off via ups on thursday, and it says that it should be delivered by the end of tomorrow! i don't know why i don't have it today as its been sitting in dublin since saturday night! i guess if you send it away earlier in the week you don't get delayed by the weekend. but all in all its a very quick process. it says they have replaced my phone anyway all free of charge! whether its new or refurb at least theres no crack or scratches!

defo worth the try if you have a similar issue to me. you have up to one year under the limited warrantee.

Be wary tho, I first contacted apple via their online chat and they told me they weren't aware of apple replacing new iPhones due to single cracks and told me it would cost 250e to fix! Had no issue when I rang up.

All FREE of charge? Wow! They mentioned via phone that there's a 141e charge for new screens, or 331e if there's more wrong with a given handset. If their technicians think its a defect then its a free warranty repair. I believe this to be a defect/warranty issue, since I did not drop the handset - it shattered within a case in my hand (below home button). But I guess they need to look at the shatter pattern or whatever to see that for themselves.

Can I ask did you write a letter of explanation to go in the box or what? - or how did they conclude that that they would replace your phone for free?

Told them I was tempted to wait till after Crimbo at this stage, although if its that fast, perhaps not.

Anyway thanks OP. Very helpful feedback. Better luck with your new handset!
    I rang them on monday last week (that takes a while on the phone i will admit, especially if you get an american who doesn't understand irish addresses or names), received a box on wednesday, posted it off via ups on thursday, and it says that it should be delivered by the end of tomorrow! i don't know why i don't have it today as its been sitting in dublin since saturday night! i guess if you send it away earlier in the week you don't get delayed by the weekend. but all in all its a very quick process. it says they have replaced my phone anyway all free of charge! whether its new or refurb at least theres no crack or scratches!

defo worth the try if you have a similar issue to me. you have up to one year under the limited warrantee.

Be wary tho, I first contacted apple via their online chat and they told me they weren't aware of apple replacing new iPhones due to single cracks and told me it would cost 250e to fix! Had no issue when I rang up.

eorpach wrote: »
    All FREE of charge? Wow! They mentioned via phone that there's a 141e charge for new screens, or 331e if there's more wrong with a given handset. If their technicians think its a defect then its a free warranty repair. I believe this to be a defect/warranty issue, since I did not drop the handset - it shattered within a case in my hand (below home button). But I guess they need to look at the shatter pattern or whatever to see that for themselves.

Can I ask did you write a letter of explanation to go in the box or what? - or how did they conclude that that they would replace your phone for free?

Told them I was tempted to wait till after Crimbo at this stage, although if its that fast, perhaps not.

Anyway thanks OP. Very helpful feedback. Better luck with your new handset!

I received my phone this morning, looks brand new, the plastic sticker on it and everything! All complete FREE!
    I just explained the issue when I called them on the phone and they said if they deemed it to be a product default they'd replace it, and if it was my fault they'd send it back to me as is, without charge! Its totally free to have it checked out, so don't let anyone tell you different! No need for a letter or explanation or anything thats already done over the phone! You just pop the phone in the box they send you and bring it to a UPS drop point or arrange a collection!
    Your issue definitely sounds like a product fault. I did quite a bit of research before I called because I wasn't even sure if it was a crack or just a scratch in the surface, even o2 told me it was a scratch and my own fault! A lot of other people have the exact same issue, I even saw one similar to yours, their screen was totally smashed, and they had it replaced free of charge!
    Dublin really needs an Apple store!

frogspark dot co dot uk/frogspark-news/iphone-6-durability/ is this similar to yours? (sorry boards won't let me post the link)

Not quite like the pic in the image you sent - more a situation of the glass shattering in the small area below the home button. Worse cracks have developed since. Phone didn't fall though, and was in a Spigen Tough Armour case the whole time. Will pursue it within them though as the phone was NOT dropped or mistreated.

Thanks for the great explanation of the process- best of luck with your replacement phone!

Edit: To clarify your point about screen issues - if single cracks emerge during warranty then Apple will take responsibility for it as a manufacturing defect, whereas if a "spider" shape of cracks appear, Apple considers that to be an impact caused by accidental damage, falling outside of warranty.

See this warranty guide.
    I received my phone this morning, looks brand new, the plastic sticker on it and everything! All complete FREE!
    I just explained the issue when I called them on the phone and they said if they deemed it to be a product default they'd replace it, and if it was my fault they'd send it back to me as is, without charge! Its totally free to have it checked out, so don't let anyone tell you different! No need for a letter or explanation or anything thats already done over the phone! You just pop the phone in the box they send you and bring it to a UPS drop point or arrange a collection!
    Your issue definitely sounds like a product fault. I did quite a bit of research before I called because I wasn't even sure if it was a crack or just a scratch in the surface, even o2 told me it was a scratch and my own fault! A lot of other people have the exact same issue, I even saw one similar to yours, their screen was totally smashed, and they had it replaced free of charge!
    Dublin really needs an Apple store!

frogspark dot co dot uk/frogspark-news/iphone-6-durability/ is this similar to yours? (sorry boards won't let me post the link)

Advertisement