Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German and biology

Options
  • 12-12-2014 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I'm new to this whole Boards thing so I'm sorry if I've labelled wrong etc. I'm in 5th year studying all HL subjects (English Irish maths German biology home ec and geography- I also do lcvp)

I'm finding biology extremely hard. I don't want to drop to pass as I need the points. My teacher is very bad. He puts notes on Dropbox which are hard to wade through. They're confusing too and he doesn't explain the material. I get As in every subject but Cs in biology. What can I do?

Also my German teacher might bring us to Germany for 5 days next year on an exchange and go to school for those days. I'm just wondering how good would it be for my oral German or would it have any benefit?

Any information is welcome. Thanks in advance :')

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

Well accept u cant be good at everything. Everyone has that 'awful' teacher but unfortunately its probably not going to change. Can you switch classes, if ur really concerned? I was only getting c's/low b's at start and I'm now greatly improved from that. Biology needs constant learning at least 4 times a week. Make sure your practising exam questions if your teacher somehow isn't. Get a biology book if you cant follow his notes or maybe photocopy ones of your friends biology notes.

If you can go to Germany, then go!!! You might be a bit behind in your other classes but its only 5th year. Enjoy. I cant say if it'll help your German, probably wont if your only going to be speaking english

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Make your own notes. Really. They will stand to you.

A trip to Germany could be of great benefit to you, but only if you make a point of not hanging out with your classmates as you will all speak English to each others. Most Germans (especially younger ones) speak very good English too, so it can be difficult to get them to speak German to you.

If you are staying in family homes you might have a better chance. Find the Oma or Opa. They are least likely to have English.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Lc biology is a very manageable subject.
    The exam papers are very repetitive.

Teach yourself using a text book . With a subject like biology it should be achievable . If the teachers notes are poor then perhaps invest in one of the better revision books.

Have you ever heard of khan academy ? They have educational videos which might help . I think they have a biology section .

Perhaps you can ask your teacher to explain to you the material with which you are having difficulties with?

The good news is that you are in 5th year . You have plenty of time to sort this out now . The sooner the better as next year will be time consuming .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

I went to Germany for 10 days in 5th year and I can't even describe the benefits. When I came back it just all seemed a little clearer, particularly the aural. I stayed with a host family but admittedly spoke mainly in English which was unfortunate but even still, just from being in the school and around the people and hearing different accents and vocabulary was beyond helpful.

Advertisement