Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spot in House / Effectiveness of New Sectional Insulated Garage Doors

Options
  • 12-12-2014 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I bought a house recently which was built in 2002. It has an integrated garage and although the house and garage was built at the same time the garage is built like an extension with a different roof to the main house. There is a utility room and toilet behind the garage and a door from there leading into the kitchen in the "main house".

There is a bedroom over the garage and although the garage ceiling is definitely double fireproof slabbed with a vapor barrier i don't think there is any insulation in the bedroom floor and it feels really cold to walk on and the bedroom itself is much much colder than the bedrooms in the main house and the utility room and downstairs toilet are also much colder than the rest of the house. This garage wing of the house has a cavity wall, double glazed windows, insulation in the roof of the over garage bedroom etc so its build to the same standard as the rest of the house.

The existing garage door is a traditional up and over metal door with no insulation and lots of gaps to let wind in. A few nights ago when it was freezing outside my fingers were numb from standing in the garage for a few minutes.

I'm considering getting one of the new type sectional insulated doors from either http://www.tilt-a-dor.co.uk/residential_doors/insulated_sectional_doors or http://www.henderson-garage-door-centre.co.uk/products/sectional-garage-doors/henderson-g60/
    Both doors have around the same u value of 1.0 and 1.2 and are about the same price and I guess there is other doors on the market like this too.

Converting the garage to a second sitting room like many other houses in not an option for me as I have no use for the second room and the garage is very useful as I work on cars sometimes and the storage is really useful.

Has anyone here been in my situation and got an insulated garage door? Did it make a big difference to the temperature of the room over the garage or the garage itself?

I know I could look at insulating the floor in the bedroom etc but I want to keep the main envelope of the house as warm as possible and I don't want to do some botch job which wouldn't conform to building regs, be a possible fire hazard etc.

I had taught about sticking insulation to the garage door but it wont cure all the wind coming in around the door. Before I bite the bullet and spend about 1.6K on a new door I wanted to see if anyone else has gone down this route before me.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Do you have a rad in the garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

BryanF wrote: »
    Do you have a rad in the garage?

No garage is so cold and brezzy i think it'd be a big waste of energy. If i got the door sorted i might consider it. You think its a good idea to put one in? Would be easy to do as boiler press backs onto garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

Would a good insulated slab to ceiling of garage not sort it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭893bet

893bet wrote: »

I considered that too but the existing ceiling is 2 fireproof plasterboard layers to meet fire regs. Last thing i want to do make the ceiling a hazzard. Im not sure if there is any fireproof insulated slabs. Ive also read online that some people have insulated the ceiling but it didnt work because wind was blowing under the plywood floor above cooling it down. I guees an 18ft x 14ft garage ceiling insulation would cost more than the door? Some people who went for the ceiling option had to rip the ceiling down and pump foam between joists and the put up fireproof ceiling again. Plus I have a cold heated utillity room too that I getting cooled by been adjacent to garage and the kitchen is adjacent to the utility room too so i was hoping that a new garage door might help warm up all those areas of house in one go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Handsandtools

Mgit wrote: »
    I considered that too but the existing ceiling is 2 fireproof plasterboard layers to meet fire regs. Last thing i want to do make the ceiling a hazzard. Im not sure if there is any fireproof insulated slabs. Ive also read online that some people have insulated the ceiling but it didnt work because wind was blowing under the plywood floor above cooling it down. I guees an 18ft x 14ft garage ceiling insulation would cost more than the door? Some people who went for the ceiling option had to rip the ceiling down and pump foam between joists and the put up fireproof ceiling again. Plus I have a cold heated utillity room too that I getting cooled by been adjacent to garage and the kitchen is adjacent to the utility room too so i was hoping that a new garage door might help warm up all those areas of house in one go.

At first, as long as fire can't get in to the top bedroom within hour it's fine, and it doesn't matter where insulated slabs are on top or bottom of fire board.
    2nd. No point insulate garage if it's not wind proof, have to seal all gaps from draft and than insulate.
    Best of all strip that garage close all holes and insulate properly, it will be better value for money. If You just slab it, it can make condensation within the wall. Find the best value for money, don't go the cheep way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Is the bed room above the garage used - would it be possible to lift the floor (or some of the floor ) and either lay or blow in insulation ? - draught proofing the garage seems your best bet - as to how easy or possible that is ???

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I had this problem in my old house.

In my new one the garage door is a 16' Sectional, and it makes a huge difference. I got mine from Overhead Door Co in Tipp.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Would the garage side of your house be north/east facing by any chance ? If so consider this as a major contributor to cold rooms . Also, you are not heating the garage.

No front of house is south facing and most room windows face front of house.

I went ahead and ordered a sectional door and its supposed to be installed in 3rd or 4th week of Jan.

Cold is only an issue wen outside temp drops to 5deg or less.

• Advertisement
Advertisement