Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to education question

Options
  • 12-12-2014 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have been claiming back to eduction of €188 per week since 2012, having sat a two year course finished this summer.

I have since moved to a new course this September and have been granted €160 per week.

I am 21 by the way. I am not to sure if this is correct though, because when I reapplied for back to education in Sept 2013 I was granted €160, but when I phoned up my local office I was told this was a mistake and put back on €188 but this time they don't seen to want to budge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

as of jan 2013
    anyone who was on a payment of 188e from a fas course or btea would be brought down to 160e if you are under 23 I think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

stevek93 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have been claiming back to eduction of €188 per week since 2012, having sat a two year course finished this summer.

I have since moved to a new course this September and have been granted €160 per week.

I am 21 by the way. I am not to sure if this is correct though, because when I reapplied for back to education in Sept 2013 I was granted €160, but when I phoned up my local office I was told this was a mistake and put back on €188 but this time they don't seen to want to budge.

The pertinent thing might be that you are on a new course since September 2014. Since January 2013 anyone starting a new course gets the same amount on BTEA as they did on Jobseekers. Likely amended your payment in September 2013 as you were going back to the second year of an existing course and were therefore not a new applicant. There is a provision for people on BTEA progressing on from one approved course to another without being viewed as a 'new' applicant on the second course and that decision would be based on info supplied.

Resumption Notices are issued in March/April to ascertain when courses are finishing and participants' intentions for the coming academic year e.g. course completed or customer going on to the next year of course or progressing to an approved course. Based on the response, a decision is made either to terminate the BTEA at the end of the current academic year or to continue payment in the following academic year.

You should query the situation to find out why your present course is viewed as new as opposed to a progression.

5. Reviews and appeal of decision

The Back to Education Allowance is a non-statutory scheme and, as such, decisions cannot be appealed to the Social Welfare Appeals Office. A person who is not satisfied with a decision may request (in writing) a review by an officer of the relevant Social Welfare Local Office or Section, enclosing any new evidence in support of the review. A reviewing officer should ensure the original decision and any new evidence supplied is reviewed taking the BTEA guidelines into consideration in their entirety. Decisions post review should be communicated clearly to the client outlining in detail why the claim has been awarded/refused and noting that all new evidence has been taken into consideration in coming to a final decision.

(If BTEA is refused based on the recommendation of the Case Officer, the review should be taken by another Case Officer or Area Manager in the Division attached to the relevant office).

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Back-to-Education-Allowance-Scheme.aspx#part5

Advertisement