Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communications course - opinions?

Options
  • 11-12-2014 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, I'm currently doing the Leaving Cert and have Communications in DCU down as my top CAO choice. I've been to open days and stuff but I'd love to hear from some actual students studying it and their experiences? Do you like the course? Does it present good employment opportunities etc.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dubhghlas95

Hey, I'm a first year in CS (Communication Studies) in DCU this year.

I love the course but it's the type of course you either love or hate.

We have 10-11 hours in college per week, which is sweet feck all compared to the Science and Nursing people (they sometimes push 30-40 hours!)

The semester just gone has only consisted of 2 presentations, 12 reading reports (one per week), one essay plan and an essay.

I would highly recommend this course to a person who is interested in TV/Radio/Public Relations/Social Media... That kind of industry!

HOWEVER: The short hours mean we get very little to do and, as a commuter who spends (sometimes) more time travelling than I spend actually in DCU, I've (like a lot of people) dug myself into DCUtv and DCUfm. I'm a member of the fm News team, I took part in the 24 Hour Charity Broadcast (we raised over €5k for a charity I can't spell :O )!

As for employment opportunities, volunteering is the way to go. If I were to scale it, I'd say experience is 70% of the course, most of it is done in your own time.

I am looking into buying a DSLR to get myself into photography and videography. I've also volunteered to manage social media pages. I'm working for a sports venue in Ireland as an announcer (thankfully that one is paid!) and I love the work I've volunteered to do.

In short, the course is great, I thought it was quite theory-heavy in Semester One but I've been told that the fun practical stuff starts soon! Experience is key!

P.S. Put your name forward for ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING (Media Production Society always has stuff on!) you can. If someone wants an interview/photos taken/ someone to sing in a video etcetcetc it's better to do it, look like a bit of a wally and have something like that on your C.V. than ignore it and have thin air on the C.V.!!!!!!

Any more questions, just shoot! I love the course, the college and most importantly the people. I came straight from the LC (Good luck with that by the way - it gets better I promise).

- A very happy DCU lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sp1997372

We have 10-11 hours in college per week, which is sweet feck all compared to the Science and Nursing people (they sometimes push 30-40 hours!)

The semester just gone has only consisted of 2 presentations, 12 reading reports (one per week), one essay plan and an essay.

I would highly recommend this course to a person who is interested in TV/Radio/Public Relations/Social Media... That kind of industry!

HOWEVER: The short hours mean we get very little to do and, as a commuter who spends (sometimes) more time travelling than I spend actually in DCU, I've (like a lot of people) dug myself into DCUtv and DCUfm. I'm a member of the fm News team, I took part in the 24 Hour Charity Broadcast (we raised over €5k for a charity I can't spell :O )!

As for employment opportunities, volunteering is the way to go. If I were to scale it, I'd say experience is 70% of the course, most of it is done in your own time.

I am looking into buying a DSLR to get myself into photography and videography. I've also volunteered to manage social media pages. I'm working for a sports venue in Ireland as an announcer (thankfully that one is paid!) and I love the work I've volunteered to do.

In short, the course is great, I thought it was quite theory-heavy in Semester One but I've been told that the fun practical stuff starts soon! Experience is key!

P.S. Put your name forward for ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING (Media Production Society always has stuff on!) you can. If someone wants an interview/photos taken/ someone to sing in a video etcetcetc it's better to do it, look like a bit of a wally and have something like that on your C.V. than ignore it and have thin air on the C.V.!!!!!!

Any more questions, just shoot! I love the course, the college and most importantly the people. I came straight from the LC (Good luck with that by the way - it gets better I promise).

- A very happy DCU lad!

Thanks for the response! The small amount of hours involved seems perfect then if you're wanting to get out there and expand your CV. Yeah it's interesting just how broad the outcomes of the course seem to be! I do have a massive interest in working in TV/Radio/PR/Event Management and I loved DCU itself at the open day. Definitely keeping Communications at the top of my CAO so. Haha thanks.

Glad it sounds good!

Give me a bell if you need any more info or advice!

All the best in the LC =)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sp1997372

Glad it sounds good!

Give me a bell if you need any more info or advice!

All the best in the LC =)

Thank you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Slim1996

- A very happy DCU lad!

Does the course incorporate and Business Modules? Really wanted to do Marketing, Innovation & Technology but since dropping HL maths can't see myself getting that course anymore

• Advertisement

Hi SP,

At the moment, there's one business related module (Third year - Enterprise Development) so the short answer is no, CS doesn't teach much about business. We have learned more about psychology, creativity and sociology so far.

There's a whole list of "Subjects Taught" on qualifax(dot)ie.

Open Qualifax > Students > Courses in Ireland > CAO > Search :Communication Studies and DCU is the first to come up :)

If you have any more questions - just shoot!

PS. Three weeks until the summer holidays and I still absolutely love the course =)

Advertisement