Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Analytics

Options
  • 11-12-2014 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I've been recently offered a place on the Data Analytics MSc in NCI, but I'm still wondering if it's the career for me. I love programming, technology, maths etc, but...

Do data analysts typically have to work 'on-call' and perform out of hours support?
    (Had to do this once before... never again! God almighty never again.)

Are there oppertunities in other sectors other than insurance, finance etc?
    (Don't have a clue about business)

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I would be very surprised if a data analytics job was on call. Its kinda of a new role so I don't know if there are many actual jobs in existance yet - the nearest existing job would be in the Database side and a full time DBA could very well be on call.

As its a new role i'm not sure, software dev companies might not actually need one ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Telecoms companies, consultancies, banks, insurance companies would all be possible employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I've been recently offered a place on the Data Analytics MSc in NCI, but I'm still wondering if it's the career for me. I love programming, technology, maths etc, but...

Do data analysts typically have to work 'on-call' and perform out of hours support?
    (Had to do this once before... never again! God almighty never again.)

Are there oppertunities in other sectors other than insurance, finance etc?
    (Don't have a clue about business)

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Lots of opportunities in the gambling / ecommerce sectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

is it all maths and programming?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭suchafunkymonke

zweton wrote: »
    is it all maths and programming?

There is a large amount of maths and programming, but also a significant amount of turning usually vague business requirements in to something usable.

There is some need for on-call depending on how valuable the data is to the business. Whether or not you are called out, depends on how robust your system is.

Analytics isn't tied to a particular business sector as the same common concepts span multiple business sectors. I have worked within Government, Sales, Finance, Service & IT sectors. Knowledge of the sector can be gained and applied to the core analytics concepts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 RaviKumar

If you love programming and wants to enhance your skills then you can easily go in the field of Data Analytics

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

It's a great field.
    It's a skill you can utilise across many areas.
    It's not like IT being on call.
    Have to talked to people on the course already?
    Go onto LinkedIn and connect to people who've done it - see where they are / enjoy their role etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Very useful for website/infrastructure/services performance monitoring and capacity planning too. Big money there these days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I work in data analytics, senior risk data analyst.
    no on call work, very interesting field to get into. Key skills (aka stuff you should be naturally talented in and enjoy) is telling the story behind the data. Powerpoint is a key skill too (not just making them but making good ones).

Languages needed in my role are SQL Teradata & python.

Pay is good as it's not a job everyone can a) do or b) succeed in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Former CTO of a data analytics company here...

The good people in this field have a statistics background. Add Python skills to that and you're good to go.

These skills can be used in many industries.

The problem with this industry is it's at least 80% bull****ters (I'd say 95%+ bull****ters) so if you're going to have to separate yourself from these people somehow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement