Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung TV faulty.

Options
  • 11-12-2014 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

Hi I purchased a Samsung TV over 2 years ago from a local retailer. About a year ago it wouod take an age to connect to SKY in the evening when switched on. Anyway it got worse so presuming it was the SKY box I had a technician over who informed me the SKY was perfect but infact the tuner was faulty in the TV, I checked it against another set and the SKY was fine.

I returned the TV to the shop who returned it to Samsung for diagnosis, Samsung confirmed the tuner was faulty but the TV was now out of warranty and a new board is 180 quid plus VAT and labour!!!.

I think this is ridiculous for something that cost over 600 quid just over 2 year's ago to fcuk up and have no comeback. Have I any rights here as a new TV would be almost cheaper.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You bought it 2 years ago, and it started to be faulty 1 year ago?

No matter, your contract is with the store you bought it from. Bring it back. As for it to be repaired, replaced or refund.

Your consumer rights trump any "expired warranty".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

If you have a sky box why would the tuner in the TV be an issue? the sky box would decode the signal. all the tv does is display what the sky box tells it to do via a scart or hdmi lead. How is the sky box connected to the tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Beano wrote: »
    If you have a sky box why would the tuner in the TV be an issue? the sky box would decode the signal. all the tv does is display what the sky box tells it to do via a scart or hdmi lead. How is the sky box connected to the tv?

The SKY box isn't connected to that TV directly but via magic eye and co-ax cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

Surely the SKY box is connected via your SCART cable. You don't need a tuner?

Sorry saw your email

cml387 wrote: »
    Surely the SKY box is connected via your SCART cable. You don't need a tuner?

No I have a co- axial cable going to the TV point on the wall, the SKY box is at the other end of the house..

• Advertisement

Yes sorry I saw that after I posted.

I think it is not reasonable for a Samsung TV to only last two years.
    The retailer should sort it out...threaten them with the small claims court.

Yes sorry I saw that after I posted.

I think it is not reasonable for a Samsung TV to only last two years.
    The retailer should sort it out...threaten them with the small claims court.

No bother but that is difficult as I know the retailer fairly well so I would prefer to get Samsung to cough up. Amazing we have a Samsung fridge too that cost 1500 quid that has broken my heart too..:(

I'm afraid that's not the way it works. Your contract is with the retailer, not Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mickoc

Anyone know how to fix a black bar through a Samsung Tv? thanks

I'm afraid that's not the way it works. Your contract is with the retailer, not Samsung.

Fair enough so..

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advise everyone just to update after a few heated phone calls Samsung are giving me a brand new smart TV worth over 800 quid!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Truckermal wrote: »
    Thanks for the advise everyone just to update after a few heated phone calls Samsung are giving me a brand new smart TV worth over 800 quid!!!

Did you deal directly with Samsung or the retailer?

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Did you deal directly with Samsung or the retailer?

Both firstly Samsung wanted over 200 quid to replace the tuner but they got a fright when I told them nicely to keep it. The retailer knew I would keep going until they sorted it so he kept at them too.

I must say it pays to read Boards.ie as most people would just go way and pay the money..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

mickoc wrote: »
    Anyone know how to fix a black bar through a Samsung Tv? thanks

Why did you stick a bar through the TV ? :D

Advertisement