Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hw Do I approach this

Options
  • 11-12-2014 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭

So I have been renting the same house for near 3 years. Initially the rent was 850 and after 12 months the landlord sad he would bring down to 800 if we stayed. We agreed verbally and all was great. Over the last few months We have pushed for the new contract, he kept saying he would call over and never did.

Today he texted me saying that an estate agent rang an said we are paying too much. They said they could get 900 if not 950 for he house. ( Sneaky Khunts).

I have agreed to go back to 850 but I want him to do a bit around the house. We have been there 3 yrs and never had an ounce of trouble with the landlord. In fact I like him and vie versa

+He doesn't cut the lawn very Often. I have had to go home to get my dads or else rent one.
    + The house has never been washed outside or painted inside since we moved in
    + The washing machine is leaking

He has told me that the estate agent is pushng him to not renew as they can release it and get him 950.

H has said he is happy for us to stay ad will call for a chat.

How do I approach this? What should he do or what is his responsibility?

Everything was fine until this stupid estate agent stuck their nose in. I have a good relationship with the owner as we have been perfect tenants
    The shed was destroyed by the weather

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Specialun wrote: »
    So I have been renting the same house for near 3 years. Initially the rent was 850 and after 12 months the landlord sad he would bring down to 800 if we stayed. We agreed verbally and all was great. Over the last few months We have pushed for the new contract, he kept saying he would call over and never did.

Today he texted me saying that an estate agent rang an said we are paying too much. They said they could get 900 if not 950 for he house. ( Sneaky Khunts).

I have agreed to go back to 850 but I want him to do a bit around the house. We have been there 3 yrs and never had an ounce of trouble with the landlord. In fact I like him and vie versa

+He doesn't cut the lawn very Often. I have had to go home to get my dads or else rent one.

He has told me that the estate agent is pushng him to not renew as they can release it and get him 950.

Everything was fine until this stupid estate agent stuck their nose in. I have a good relationship with the owner as we have been perfect tenants

Tell him to go with the estate agent then. Who will have the house vacant for a few weeks to find tenants. Then they can deduct the letting fee every month and then he can receive his rent in a bulk amount every few months.

Make it clear to him that he is better off you as a tenant. As he will probably only get €870 max a month if he goes for an agent after their letting fee and the fact the house will be empty

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Who washes the outside of a house???

You dont say where you are but 850 isnt too bad for a house these days. You're lucky its not a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

nc19 wrote: »

I was thinking that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

You dont say where you are but 850 isnt too bad for a house these days. You're lucky its not a lot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭anonyanony

nc19 wrote: »

Or paints the house after three years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

The washing/power hosing of the house is herself idea

The house was not painted when we moved in, inside or outside. We are here three yrs...

The landlord has done zero to the house in the 3 yrs...were in cork..not in city or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭anonyanony

The washing/power hosing of the house is herself idea

The house was not painted when we moved in, inside or outside. We are here three yrs...

The landlord has done zero to the house in the 3 yrs

It's still not a done thing, the inside might only be painted once every ten years, house was acceptable when you moved in and cannot see it getting worse in three years.

I don't know what your expecting him to do, I painted my outside 15 years ago and inside 10 years ago they still doesn't need a repaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You should be cutting the grass yourself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

What's the market rent for a similar house in the area? What does it say in the original house about cutting lawn/upkeep of garden.

forget about power hosing house, very few people do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A house shouldn't need painting in three years? Have you washed down the walls?

If he provided a lawn mower it's up to you to cut the grass. He should fix the leaky washing machine, if it transpires it's as a result of you not looking after it then bill you for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

ted1 wrote: »
    If he provided a lawn mower it's up to you to cut the grass.

I doubt the lawnmower is provided as the OP said he has to borrow or rent one to cut the grass.
    Ask him what he'll be doing for a new tenant.
    I'd be asking the landlord to either provide a mower or ask him to increase his schedule for cutting the grass. He'll probably need to provide a shed if he provides the lawnmower. There's probably €100 of his new rate gone on a lawnmower. More if he needs to provide a space for it too.

You say the shed was destroyed by the weather. Did he remove it so or is it still there. If he's renting to a new tenant I'd imagine that'd need to be replaced or tidied up.

When you're talking to him ask him what the estate agents fees are. There's not much point in him getting more rent and having to pay the estate agent the extra.

Like the other guys have said washing & painting aren't necessary unless the paint was old when you moved in. The washing machine will need to be brought to his attention. If it's leaking now it could cause damage. He'll need to get that sorted.

Yeah the high winds a while backsmashed the shed..it was a plastic one. I came home from work and it smashed against the back wall

No lawnmower..he keeps telling me he has one but it never arrives...

As the contract expired ages ago is he still legally obliged to give us a months notice..we asked him for the new lease ages ago but his head is always elsewhere

He just use to live here, his not a property guru or anything so takes alot for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Grass cutting is tenant issue.

Typical tenant gets a good deal off landlord for a few years then when landlord asks for market rate tenant gets petty. Suck it up, rent another place or buy your own home.

Typical tenant gets a good deal off landlord for a few years then when landlord asks for market rate tenant gets petty. Suck it up, rent another place or buy your own home.

Not too sure what is the d*ck attitude for..ive only asked a few questions so i dont know how ive got petty..i though that is what the forum is for..your response is a useful as a fart in a hurricane

Lawn mower, fees etc are deductable expenses. Lawn mowers can be kept under the stairs. 100 a month is 1,200 a year, good lawn mowers can be had for 80 euro.
    What fees the landlord pays are absolutely no Buisness of the tenant.

Yes and no, if the landlord doesn't provide a lawn mower then it's the land lords responsibilty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

It sounds like you are entitled to part 4 tenancy and if you are well behaved and are paying the market rent you have a 4 year lease. You can only be asked to leave if you break the terms of the lease, if the landlord is selling it, wants it for him self or a close member of his famiily or if he is renovating it.

See what other house are renting for in the area, do you know for sure that there is an estate agent involved or is he making it up to get more rent. Is there big demand where you are living can you easily move. If you move out in the new year chances are it would take him a month to rent it again. That would wipe out any increase then if there is an agent they would charge a fee and your ll would have to give you back your deposit. If you go softly with him chances are he will come around.

Also keep in mind that under part four tenancy rules you both have to give more than 30 days notice, the longeryou are in the house the longer the notice.

Good luck with it

Lawn mower, fees etc are deductable expenses. Lawn mowers can be kept under the stairs. 100 a month is 1,200 a year, good lawn mowers can be had for 80 euro.
    What fees the landlord pays are absolutely no Buisness of the tenant.

How much of that €1200 has to go to the agent?

The fees are relevant in this case. If the landlord wants to up the rent by €100 because of an agent he's going to be paying a fair percentage of the €100 to the agent. How much would an agent take out of €950 rent does anybody know?
    As the renter I'd be pointing this out to the landlord and tell him to do the sums. Is it worth getting a new tenant that might cause him hassle and lose a tenant that he's had to do nothing for in 3 years.

Maybe it is. Maybe the landlord needs the extra few quid. Maybe the landlord is stupid and is just thinking of the €100 like you seem to be. Maybe he's smarter and using it as a negotiation tactic and will say to the op he won't use the agent and just call it €900. I'm betting the conversation will go that way with the op.

I don't know how big the lawn is so maybe a crappy 80 quid one will do. I wouldn't be too happy about storing gardening equipment under the stairs even if there was room. Maybe there's not. I wouldn't be offering a cupboard as a space for gardening equipment.

timetogo wrote: »
    How much of that €1200 has to go to the agent?

The fees are relevant in this case. If the landlord wants to up the rent by €100 because of an agent he's going to be paying a fair percentage of the €100 to the agent. How much would an agent take out of €950 rent does anybody know?
    As the renter I'd be pointing this out to the landlord and tell him to do the sums. Is it worth getting a new tenant that might cause him hassle and lose a tenant that he's had to do nothing for in 3 years.

Maybe it is. Maybe the landlord needs the extra few quid. Maybe the landlord is stupid and is just thinking of the €100 like you seem to be. Maybe he's smarter and using it as a negotiation tactic and will say to the op he won't use the agent and just call it €900. I'm betting the conversation will go that way with the op.

I don't know how big the lawn is so maybe a crappy 80 quid one will do. I wouldn't be too happy about storing gardening equipment under the stairs even if there was room. Maybe there's not. I wouldn't be offering a cupboard as a space for gardening equipment.

Agents make life easier for landlords as they do to have to deal with tenants. The agent didn't just appear the landlord went to him. As I said they are deductable expenses.

You can get great lawn mowers for 80 euro. Out of season you can get the corded version of this for 80. http://www.johnsdiy.com/bosch-rotak-37-li

Agents make life easier for landlords as they do to have to deal with tenants. The agent didn't just appear the landlord went to him. As I said they are deductable expenses.

You can get great lawn mowers for 80 euro. Out of season you can get the corded version of this for 80. http://www.johnsdiy.com/bosch-rotak-37-li

Yeah the landlord probably approached the agent. He's right to.

In the ops post he said he barely dealt with the landlord over the 3 years. I don't know how much easier the landlord is going to get it with an agent and a new tenant. He could get a tenant that's a pain in the hole or one like the op. Bit of a gamble.

But Id bet during the chat with the op the landlord will say he doesn't want to go with the agent and he'll only charge €900.
    Then the ball is in the ops court.

I did a search and letting agents seem to get from 5% for letting only or 10% + VAT for management. Those were prices from 2010. Dunno if they're the same now.
    So in a worst case €114 out of the new €950 rent would go to the agent. I know that's deductable so it probably only half that after tax.

I won't argue about the lawnmowers. I know you can get some for €80. I don't think they're good (I had one for a couple of years before it clapped out) but if I was a landlord I'm sure thats what I'd be buying :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

Sounds to me like the landlord is open to negotiation. If he isn't then he would have just informed you that the rent is increasing to 950. Take it or leave it.

If you check daft and see that his increase is inline with similar houses in the area, why not try meet him in the middle somewhere?

I would be satisfied that rent prices have definitely increased in Cork city suburbs within the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

timetogo wrote: »
    Yeah the landlord probably approached the agent. He's right to.

In the ops post he said he barely dealt with the landlord over the 3 years. I don't know how much easier the landlord is going to get it with an agent and a new tenant. He could get a tenant that's a pain in the hole or one like the op. Bit of a gamble.

But Id bet during the chat with the op the landlord will say he doesn't want to go with the agent and he'll only charge €900.
    Then the ball is in the ops court.

I did a search and letting agents seem to get from 5% for letting only or 10% + VAT for management. Those were prices from 2010. Dunno if they're the same now.
    So in a worst case €114 out of the new €950 rent would go to the agent. I know that's deductable so it probably only half that after tax.

I won't argue about the lawnmowers. I know you can get some for €80. I don't think they're good (I had one for a couple of years before it clapped out) but if I was a landlord I'm sure thats what I'd be buying :)

The 5% fee applies to annual rent received so fee to let only would be €570.00 + VAT based on €950.00. I find agents are charging between 4-5% for letting and 8-10% for management. All net of VAT. Some agents charge a mix of both if managing; a small finders fee and reduced monthly management fee but this tends to equate cumulatively to roughly 10% per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Yes and no, if the landlord doesn't provide a lawn mower then it's the land lords responsibilty

not mentioned in minimum standards. Therefore not LL's responsibility.

not mentioned in minimum standards. Therefore not LL's responsibility.

So what does this mean

"The inclusion in this definition of a requirement to maintain gardens and common areas in good condition means that there is now an obligation on landlords to maintain the external appearance of rented accommodation."

from The Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 and the Private Rented Sector:

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,21697,en.pdf

The OP has been renting for 3 years so it's after the date of the act.

It's not super relevant in the OPs case. It's just a handy negotiation tool. Like "ah I don't mind cutting the grass, did you know that if you get a new tenant it's your responsibility for the upkeep on the garden".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Have you sat down and spoken with the landlord.

I am always amazed at the amount of times this part hasn't happened yet

Also, how do you pay rent? is it via cash transfer. Do you know if he is registered with PRTB?

Good things to know for negotiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If you provide a mower, is there any onus on you to provide training and safety wear?
    Some landlords are hesitant to provide a lawnmower, as they are fearful of a claim should the tenant have an accident with it.

Advertisement