Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSA and partner working

Options
  • 11-12-2014 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi I have a friend who told me her husband has been unemployed for the past couple of months with not much luck of finding another job. He went to the unemployment office yesterday and they told him he hasn't got enough stamps up so he has to apply for JSA which will be means tested and her income will be included. They have requested three recent payslips from her. My friend does agency work, one week she might earn €300 another week may €450, her question is does social welfare look at her gross yearly earnings or do they just go by her weekly earnings when determining the means test? reason she is worried is that her last three payslips are high as she has been putting in alot of hours to cover all the bills. They have a high mortgage and three kids. Her gross earnings so far this year is €15000

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Tell your friend to look at FIS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

What they may do is go on the gross pay to date and divide it by the number of weeks to date to get a weekly average. If that is the case and your friend has earned €15000 gross this year then he should get €230 pw approx.

MP22 has mentioned FIS. That is another option assuming your friend is working 19 hours per week. They can still apply for FIS but any allowance payment will be assessed also but spouses allowance claim will also be adjusted also the means from her employment would be halved for his claim and he could not get her as an adult dependant on his claim and AFAIK he will get half rate child dependant. FIS is assessed on her nett earnings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭bluemartin

Thanks for the information, will pass it on.

Advertisement