Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I just lived in my house and never cert''d it, what would happen

Options
  • 11-12-2014 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi all,
    Just a theoretical question as we we're playing with the idea to buy some land and build an eco friendly cob house, then we learn't about the new construction rules re 'self builders', and gave up the idea lol.

So here goes; What if we bought the land got planning permission and built the house ourselves, but then didn't bother to get it certified as we decided we loved the place so much 'we will just live here, and never sell', can that be done?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,253 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

thats a sticky subject, you really want to get into it?

edit: i suppose thats a bit flippant.. but heres the answer
    (2) A person guilty of an offence by reason of a contravention of section 3 (5) or 8 (6) or of an
    offence in contravention of building control regulations which is declared by such regulations to be
    an offence to which this subsection applies, shall be liable —
    ( a ) on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £800, or, at the discretion of the court,
    to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months, or to both the fine and the
    imprisonment and, if the offence is carried on after conviction, such person shall be
    guilty of a further offence and shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not
    exceeding £150 per day in respect of each day on which the offence is continued, or
    ( b ) on conviction on indictment, to a fine not exceeding £10,000 or, at the discretion of the
    court, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years or to both the fine and the
    imprisonment.

ive bolded the big one.

as SI9 has no retrospective compliance available, you could in theory be fine €190 for ever single day the dwelling stands....

so assuming a 60 year life of the dwelling, thats only €4,161,000.00

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

Can you drink and drive on the basis that you might not be caught ?

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

You could not borrow money to build on that basis
    You could not re mortagae
    You could not sell
    You might find an insurance company would not pay out in the event of a claim

• Registered Users Posts: 14 christopherb

sydthebeat wrote: »
    thats a sticky subject, you really want to get into it?

edit: i suppose thats a bit flippant.. but heres the answer

ive bolded the big one.

as SI9 has no retrospective compliance available, you could in theory be fine €190 for ever single day the dwelling stands....

so assuming a 60 year life of the dwelling, thats only €4,161,000.00

That suck's for anybody living in their house that doesn't have a cert lol, I'm sure that's a lot f people oops! Makes me glad I rent atm.

That suck's for anybody living in their house that doesn't have a cert lol, I'm sure that's a lot f people oops! Makes me glad I rent atm.

its really applicable to anyone building after 1st march 2014, when the bcars came in.

and its the worst case scenario

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

sydthebeat wrote: »
    and its the worst case scenario

Doesn't apply to those who have not previously been convicted.

fash wrote: »
    Doesn't apply to those who have not previously been convicted.

... but the point i think youve COMPLETELY MISSED is that it is not possible to retrospectively comply with SI9, therefore its pretty much inevitable to be convicted again unless you knock down the house.

so again, its worst case scenario

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

and at that I think we will call it a day on this thread. The purpose of Boards is not to give advise or discussion on how to avoid regulation/ what happens if you do etc. Seek the advice of professionals if you find yourself in this type of position

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement