Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

possible problem after PC overclock

Options
  • 11-12-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi All, I’ve noticed something unusual when I start up my PC. It’s only been happening since I did a slight overclock on the CPU.

When I hit the power button, the motherboard & graphics card LEDs light up as normal (I have a windowed case) ….. but only for about 1 second ….. then it appears the PC “dies” (all LEDs go out / no fans operate etc.) and this “shutdown” lasts for about 2 seconds, then without me doing anything ….. the LEDs and fans come back on again and the PC starts up fine without any further issues or warning messages etc. PC also appears to run ok & stable under extreme / sustained load (gaming.)

Specs:
    Board: Gigabyte X58 UD5
    Intel i7 950 @ 3.06 GHz
    12GB Corsair XMS 1600MHz RAM (6 X 2GB modules)
    Corsair Professional Series 850W modular power supply
    MSI GTX 680 Power Edition 2GB, graphics card
    System drive: Corsair Neutron 256GB SSD
    Case: Antec 900 version 2
    Akasa Nero aftermarket CPU fan cooler
    Before overclock:
    Default clock 133 X 23 = 3059 MHz, boost 133 X 24 = 3192 MHz
    RAM frequency 1066 MHz
    Temps: Idle 31 deg, Load 52 deg

To overclock it (in the intelligent tweaker settings in the BIOS) I just enabled the BCLK control and set it to 145, and also manually set the uncore frequency from auto to 18, to make uncore exactly half of the QPI frequency, which gives QPI link speed 5.22 GHz, and uncore frequency 2610 MHz. I left everything else on auto.

New speeds
    145 X 23 = 3335 MHz, and boost 145 X 24 = 3480 MHz
    RAM frequency is now 1160 MHz (which should be ok as RAM is rated for 1600 MHz.)
    New temps: Idle 33 deg, Load 56 deg

Again as mentioned, PC seems to boot up fine except for the 2 second “stutter” after hitting the power on button and appears to be running stable.

I’ve noticed a benefit in PC performance from the overclock while gaming (improvement in FPS during intense parts of certain games) so I’m reluctant to undo my overclock unless I’ve overclocked incorrectly. I don't want to damage my PC for the sake of the overclock.

Apologies for long post. Any thoughts on why this “stutter” on start-up is happening and what I should do about it? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Reset the overclock and see if it still happens.

Overclock part by part until the problem occurs again to isolate it.

You go into great detail on the overclocking but yet are reluctant to try the most simple solution :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Nadaly

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I did reset the defaults and it did fix it.

I re-applied the overclock again though and it does re-happen again. It doesn't seem like a huge overclock though, especially with the temperatures and stability so good when the overclock is applied (except for the start-up issue.)

I thought someone might be able to point me in the right direction (apart from restoring the defaults.) Is this issue when switching on even significant? (IE it boots up OK except for the "stutter.")

Could it be something like RAM needing a bit more voltage ? (RAM voltage is on auto / 1.5 mV, it's rated for up to 1.65)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Its your powersupply, I had the same issues with a corsair 860i PSU on two occasions and two power supplies. Something is tripping the protection circuit. Try a different PSU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭game4it70

If i remember correctly some of those x58 gigabyte boards suffered from cold boot problems.
    I would manually set cpu vore,qpi/vtt and ram voltage to see if it helps.

I think my old evga x58 did the double boot thing but only from cold boots.It never did it if i was just restarting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Vandall

Hi
    I had this problem on Gigabyte X48 board for years (cold boot only), never caused an issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement