Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Management Company

Options
  • 11-12-2014 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Management Company
    Hi, I would like some advice on how we can get rid of our management company with a view to setting up our own residence assoc.

We are an estate with around 30 odd houses. All our roads and lights including sewer are now in the hands of the local council. All the Man Company do each year is take charge of the mowing and upkeep of the common areas. This costs 2,700 per year, yet they are taking over 10,000 in fees. We want rid of them but we need advice on how to do so. If anyone could help...

Thanks So Much

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Management Company
    Hi, I would like some advice on how we can get rid of our management company with a view to setting up our own residence assoc.

We are an estate with around 30 odd houses. All our roads and lights including sewer are now in the hands of the local council. All the Man Company do each year is take charge of the mowing and upkeep of the common areas. This costs 2,700 per year, yet they are taking over 10,000 in fees. We want rid of them but we need advice on how to do so. If anyone could help...

Thanks So Much

You do realise you are a member of your management company? Have you been to AGM s? Have your studied the accounts? Are you sure that everyone is paying their fees?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Usually the management company has to resign and offer itself for "re-election" at the AGM. you will need a majority of members to vote for an offered replacement.

At least that's how ours worked, and the one for the building my offices were based in.

In both cases, members thought they were being ripped off, the reality was that a majority were not paying their fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 irishkiwi74

All our fees are up to date bar one who owns 2 properties that he rents. We had to pay 800 Each 2 years ago to switch a private sewar back into the main line. We all paid at this stage hoping that we could get rid of the management company.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

All our fees are up to date bar one who owns 2 properties that he rents. We had to pay 800 Each 2 years ago to switch a private sewar back into the main line. We all paid at this stage hoping that we could get rid of the management company.

I think your first step is to find out when an AGM will be held and get hold of a copy of the management agreement detailing the terns under which the management company is appointed and retained.

Rob thanks for that...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Not having a go here but it beggars belief how many people in this country have paid gigantic sums of money to own property in managed developments without the slightest idea about how they function.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I would like some advice on how we can get rid of our management company with a view to setting up our own residence assoc.

Firstly, you can't replace a management company with a residents association. A management company is a legal entity responsible for the upkeep of the development. It has members and directors and has a legal responsobility.

A residents association is just a group of like minded people who do stuff around the place. It is not a legal entity and has no legal responsibility.

What you really want to do is remove your management agent and run the management company yourselves, removing the cost of an agent.

So, at your next AGM, you can remove the management agent, and then it is up to the directors of the management company to run the place. It is never ever as easy as you think, but, people have done it. It just takes a lot of time and effort.

anncoates = I agree with you. We're the last into this estate to buy a year ago, and we are the first to ask these questions. I have our local council and their legal committee on board so hopefully we can get things moving.

Thanks Paulw That's a great help.

Advertisement