Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

single father/ rent allowance

Options
  • 11-12-2014 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

gonna try keep it short and sweet

im single father I've been liven in a 1 bed apt for 4 years on/off rent allowance and have a 2 year old daughter who i have joint custody, gardian ship and access (2 over nights every week), im on the council housing list since 2010. im in the middle of including my daughter to my list which entitles me to 2 bed council (whenever that happens) childs mother lives at home with parents and doesnt look like she will be moving out anytime soon...

so my question is.... am i entitled to rent allowance for a 2 bed E850
    currently on E520 rent allowance

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 13,816 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Mod Note: Moved to State Benefits Forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

im single father I've been liven in a 1 bed apt for 4 years on/off rent allowance and have a 2 year old daughter who i have joint custody, gardian ship and access (2 over nights every week), im on the council housing list since 2010. im in the middle of including my daughter to my list which entitles me to 2 bed council (whenever that happens) childs mother lives at home with parents and doesnt look like she will be moving out anytime soon...

If your children spend some time with one parent and some time with another:
    If you have shared custody or guardianship of a child and that child stays with you overnight for part of the week, you should check with your local Department of Social Protection representative (formerly known as the Community Welfare Officer or CWO). Each case is examined with regard to all of the circumstances of the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Yorker

Have you seen this

• Registered Users Posts: 15 hippystabber

im just going to wait till i speak with a SWO when my daughter is included on my council list which i hope intitles me to more rent supplement....

& yeah but i dont see how it would help my situation because i only have one child and not four lol

im just going to wait till i speak with a SWO when my daughter is included on my council list which i hope intitles me to more rent supplement....

& yeah but i dont see how it would help my situation because i only have one child and not four lol
    is it not the same principle, not enough space for children in house?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

You might have an issue with the fact your ex and daughter will be considered housed by your local authority ,are they on the housing list ?
    Unless marriage was involved you still might only be entitled to a one bed ,

Yorker wrote: »
    is it not the same principle, not enough space for children in house?

maybe it does but if he had fight in court for four children i doubt i will win with one....

Gatling wrote: »
    You might have an issue with the fact your ex and daughter will be considered housed by your local authority ,are they on the housing list ?
    Unless marriage was involved you still might only be entitled to a one bed ,

no never on the housing list.. so im hoping that will go in my favour?

If you have shared custody or guardianship of a child and that child stays with you overnight for part of the week, you should check with your local Department of Social Protection representative (formerly known as the Community Welfare Officer or CWO). Each case is examined with regard to all of the circumstances of the case.

thats great will do this first thing in the morning thank you

they offered me €800 but citizens advice shows €950 to 1 adult 1 child?? are they allowed to do that? and i cannot find anywhwere decent for 800 :-/

• Advertisement

they offered me €800 but citizens advice shows €950 to 1 adult 1 child?? are they allowed to do that? and i cannot find anywhwere decent for 800 :-/

You don't receive the maximum ,
    You get 950 minus your minimum weekly contribution of €30 pw from yourself

So it's 950 minus 120

Giving you a maximum of €830 pm rent supplement

which is why i pointed you to the legal action which you did not want. If you want to know what they can do ask a solicitor

Yorker wrote: »
    which is why i pointed you to the legal action which you did not want. If you want to know what they can do ask a solicitor

See my previous post there is a simple explanation .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Dude ignore Yorker he/she is on some other kind of tangent.

As Gatling already said there is a portion you have to pay yourself.

Just be careful, rent supplment is a bit of a joke.
    The 950 is the upper limit to what they will allow you to rent the property.
    Also check with the SWO as different areas have different limits.

Which means if they give you a supplement of 800 then you pay the remaining amount yourself quite simple??
    No if you find a place at 1000 they may refuse you the supplement altogether as the over all rental is over the amount stipulated even if you are making up the rest.

I think last year they reduced the rent supplement which fored people to either talk to the landlord to have them reduce the rent or forced them to move out.
    Alternatively you could talk to the landlord get them to put 950 on the lease and you pay the remaining out of your own pocket.
    However landlords sometimes are reluctant to do that as if it is on the lease you can basically refused to pay the remainder and there is not a whole lot they can then do about it.

From the site:

Rent Supplement and lease agreements
    If, when your Rent Supplement claim is reviewed, the rent you pay is above the relevant limit and your lease is not due for renewal, you will be expected to re-negotiate your rent with your landlord. If the landlord insists that the terms of the current lease are not negotiable and does not reduce the rent to the new limits the DSP representative will discuss your options with you. These may include seeking other accommodation. If the rent is in line with local market rates the limits can be exceeded in some cases.

Advertisement