Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth doing economics for LC

Options
  • 10-12-2014 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

we have been given an option of taking up economics in the mornings before school after Christmas ! I am doing accounting and business and doing 6 honours including honours maths !! I am kinda confused about weather it is hard or easy like is their much overlap between accounting and business with it like how hard is it to get an A or even B just want to cover myself if I drop another honour subject

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭byrneg28

It's a lot different then business and accounting.

deals with a broad range of things from sociological thinking to how economies should be run i.e. marxist theories vs capitalist theories

delves into how credit is created through a banking system

could deal with a bit of social geography as well.

Whether it's worth doing is up to yourself, if I could go back and do economics I would love to. But if you wanna focus on your current subjects.. do that rather than take up another..

Research it in detail and you'll find out. There's a lot of financial theory and algorithms in it which can be tough as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

If you're in 5th year I would. Like you I did business and accounting and really liked them both. Chemistry was my 7th subject and I knew around this time in 5th year that it didn't particularly suit me and I just wasn't that interested in it.

I was considering taking up economics and I regret that I didn't. I now do it in college and it's interesting. There is some overlap with business and accounting too but not that much afaik.

Seeing as you just have 6 honours now I think it'd be a good back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Easy subject. You can leave out some bits of the course and if you have a good teacher, it's really enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Was just wondering, if i take economics as an 8th subject outside of school, can i still take the economics exam in school

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Was just wondering, if i take economics as an 8th subject outside of school, can i still take the economics exam in school

Yes you can, as long as you have informed the SEC (through your school's Examinations Secretary) that you intend to sit the exam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Just be prepared for an awkward 2 and a half hours in an exam hall on your own with the supervisor ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

thelad95 wrote: »
    Just be prepared for an awkward 2 and a half hours in an exam hall on your own with the supervisor ;)

The non-curricular languages could well be on at the same time in the same room - let's hope you're not in for them too Manutd_4life.

Advertisement