Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working at a big supermarket in the Midlands

Options
  • 10-12-2014 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Accepted a job about 3 weeks ago now for Christmas Work in <<name mod-snipped - a major supermarket in the midlands>>, I absolutely hate the place I cannot wait for 24th till my contract finishes and I can get the **** out of there, it is the most mind numbing boring job I have ever had, stacking shelves is sucking the life out of me, the hours are good and it's a few quid for Christmas but it is the worst place I have ever worked, the staff are nice and helpful but like me they just hate it and it's a means to an end. I feel that the staff that are there all year round should get full-time hours before they take on others as we are all only getting between 20-30 hours a week, maybe we will get more next week. But what I really hate about it is the H.R. Manager there, she is the most abrupt ignorant person that I have ever met, no people skills at all and total distaste for the staff it's like they are a problem instead of them being her job, the younger members of staff seem to get spoken to like they are dirt on her shoe, I am not a person to use explicit language and I won't but the only word in the English language that comes close to describing her begins with a C and ends with a T........ Christmas Eve please come hopefully the new year will bring something better......

Mod-note: shop name removed as per the charter, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

What is it you're looking for advice on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Just leave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

3 weeks? Try doing that for a couple of years and then get back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

Welcome to the real world... it sucks

How fulfilling were you expecting a job in a supermarket to be?

Myself and many of my friends worked in various supermarkets while growing up, to be honest I thought it was great, few quid, easy work, friendly people, very little/ no responsibility.

Steer clear of yer one and you might enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

The job is a means to an end, so three weeks won't kill you.
    I think the OP's main gripe is the HR manager. I have seen people like this in various workplaces. They regard staff as lesser people.
    Does the HR occupation (I wouldn't call it a profession) attract a certain type of individual I wonder? I'm sure there are some nice HR people but I've never met one.I've met some downright nasty individuals in my time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

To be honest all I see is a rant. What did you expect from a job in a Supermarket stacking shelves. I am assuming that this is a first job? Imagine if this was a permanent job and you had to deal with the HR Manager on a permanent basis. You will find people like her in most jobs out there. Use this as a means to building up a skillset to deal with them in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Consider it for a second from the HR manager's perspective. This time of year she has to hire and coordinate a large amount of temporary staff in a very busy period of the year. This is in addition to regular staff. Now, she might still not be a likeable person, but I don't know her or the situation. Just putting forward an alternate view.

Just smile, get on with it and do your best. Using swear words to describe colleagues on the Internet won't help much.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

HR is by its very nature duplicitous, however with temporary staff in a supermarket there is no need for the usual pretense.

Advertisement