Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shihtzu skin problems!

Options
  • 10-12-2014 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Our dog has us driven mad with biting, chewing, licking his paws! I'm sure if he could talk he would also tell us how uncomfortable he is!
    Been to the vet ore than once and got the steroids, tabs, lesson food etc but I have my doubts and don't want to fork out more hundreds of euros on a whim.

It was said to us recently about rubbing 100% Coconut Oil on its skin? Anyone heard/done the same?

Any other tips/cures?

Tried the RC route - tempted to try the Burns or Brillys route...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Helium

We've a Bichon and a Shih Tzu. On RC since pups but Bichon had problems as you described, so switched to RC dermatitis still no joy. On recommendation from store assistant switched to Burns with great success.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What does he eat? What brand are you feeding?

One of my Rotties was chewing his paws so I switched him to a grain and cereal free food.

andreac wrote: »
    What does he eat? What brand are you feeding?

Burns Original - Fish & Brown Rice

Helium my question was directed at the op.Does he get any other treats etc?

Do you wash him with anything that could be irritating him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭golfbgud

Tried the RC recently and didn't notice any real difference - the bag has just run out now and we were advised to try Burns?

He's been to the same groomer in last fortnight and they suggested Burns also. Use the good shampoo as advised. Name escapes me - have to ask the Boss!

Odd few treats (in moderation) but they don't bother him.

Johnsons baby shampoo would you believe or oatmeal shampoo if you prefer, more expensive though.
    Had horrible experience with shampoos groomers used so now we have to dictate what he's washed with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I had exactly the same with my Shih Tzu. He too started off on RC, and it caused nothing but trouble. He's been on Burns mixed with the Penlan Grange (Burns wet food) and some Lily's Kitchen for variety ever since with no problem.

You could try switching him to cereal/grain free food, see if that works. Don't give him raw unless you want him whizzing round the ceiling due to protein overload!!

I do give mine coconut oil, but mixed with his food (a teaspoon melted into it). Switched from Cod Liver Oil as I read that could cause problems if you give too much of it. It's a very heavy oil, so I wouldn't recommend rubbing it in too often, otherwise it'll be hell to wash out...

I'd also bathe him with a decent puppy shampoo. That will be mild enough to clean him, but won't irritate his skin.

Hope this helps!

OP - you could also try bathing his paws with a drop of tea tree or lavender oil mixed with warm water. Mine has hay fever too, and I find that a great help in the summer.

My Bad! :o

• Advertisement

No prob Helium lol.

I use the grain and cereal free food from dogfooddirect .

It's not as expensive as some of the other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Don't give him raw unless you want him whizzing round the ceiling due to protein overload!!

That's not true! At all. My dogs are raw fed and are no more hyper now than when fed dry food. They're in much better condition on it actually.

What size are they? Are they bigger than a Shih Tzu?? My vet tells me it's not a good idea to give a small dog too much protein as the kidneys can't process it...

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭golfbgud

MALASEB I'm reliably informed!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

What size are they? Are they bigger than a Shih Tzu?? My vet tells me it's not a good idea to give a small dog too much protein as the kidneys can't process it...

Sigh (aimed at your vet AbajaninCork :) )
    Unless the dog already has compromised kidney function, there is no meat that contains too much protein for a dog of any size. On the contrary, there is more research now to show that protein actually helps dogs to chill out, so much so that aggressive or anxious dogs actually benefit from a good, meaty, protein-rich diet.
    Hyperactivity due to diet is likely to be caused by too much carbs, or colourings, preservatives etc.

Ah well. That's why I pay the vet I suppose - For his alleged expertise! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Don't give him raw unless you want him whizzing round the ceiling due to protein overload!!

Sorry but this is complete rubbish - I have 2 raw fed dogs and they're far from "whizzing around". One of them from 9 weeks old and she's more relaxed and better behaved than any of the dogs around her age in the park.

The source of the protein is what's important. So if your dog is getting it's protein from fillers/rice in a dry food that's what's making them hyper. I do feed my dogs rice btw but it's 100g in 2-3 kgs (depending on what fruit and veg we have at the time) of their veg mix

My vet is recommending home prepared diets now for dogs with allergies..

Advertisement