Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

btea to illness benefit

Options
  • 10-12-2014 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

How's this going to work. My son fought hard to get his btea and has now ended up having major surgery. He was told as he missed collecting his btea he needed a letter and cert. He handed those in and has now been told as he was/is unfit for work his benefits have been suspended pending a decision on if he is eligle for illness benefits and told he has to visit the cwo next week to see if he'll pay him in the interim.

He is due back in hospital on the day the cwo sits and won't be able to reschedule. College is due to break up and he'll be fit to return in the new year.

I can't see his benefits being sorted for Christmas. Is there anything he can do or is it a case of crap timing and tough luck?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Not sure he has to satisfy the fit for work condition if on btea so it sounds (to me) like bad advice was given...has the btea being withdrawn/disallowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭kristian12

Not sure he has to satisfy the fit for work condition if on btea so it sounds (to me) like bad advice was given...has the btea being withdrawn/disallowed?

Yes his btea has been suspended and he's been told he's not entitled and needs to apply and see if entitled to illness benefit. They said the cwo might not have paid him even if he was able to attend next week.

Is there anything he can do. We assume the welfare and cwo won't sit or pay until the new year after this week and then he'll be back in college.

kristian12 wrote: »
    Yes his btea has been suspended and he's been told he's not entitled and needs to apply and see if entitled to illness benefit. They said the cwo might not have paid him even if he was able to attend next week.

Is there anything he can do. We assume the welfare and cwo won't sit or pay until the new year after this week and then he'll be back in college.

He needs to go to the office and make it clear that he is not leaving and has not left his course. He should obtain a letter from his college to this effect too. If the college would be so kind they might include information to the effect that there is no minimum attendance required and the key is that he passes his exams. That's maybe a long shot but all helps.

He then needs to ask why they are assessing him as not meeting the conditions and whether or not he needs to be available for work whilst on btea? The answer of course should be no as obviously one cannot meet that condition while attending a full time college course.

The key is he hasn't left the course and has no intention of doing so...at least in my mind anyway

Edit: he should also switch getting the payment to the bank if possible.

He needs to go to the office and make it clear that he is not leaving and has not left his course. He should obtain a letter from his college to this effect too. If the college would be so kind they might include information to the effect that there is no minimum attendance required and the key is that he passes his exams. That's maybe a long shot but all helps.

He then needs to ask why they are assessing him as not meeting the conditions and whether or not he needs to be available for work whilst on btea? The answer of course should be no as obviously one cannot meet that condition while attending a full time college course.

The key is he hasn't left the course and has no intention of doing so...at least in my mind anyway

Edit: he should also switch getting the payment to the bank if possible.

Thank you that is very helpful, I will go in tomorrow with him and make sure he asks and states he's returning to college.

Went in with him today and they refused to budge on their stance, not fit for college not eligible for btea. They had him complete an mc1 medical form and said he needs to get the dr to sign him fit to return before he's considered for reinstatement to btea.

So it's just a case of waiting now but it looks like a poor Christmas for him.

• Advertisement

kristian12 wrote: »
    Went in with him today and they refused to budge on their stance, not fit for college not eligible for btea. They had him complete an mc1 medical form and said he needs to get the dr to sign him fit to return before he's considered for reinstatement to btea.

So it's just a case of waiting now but it looks like a poor Christmas for him.

He should refuse to submit that cert. If he signs and submits the cert it's an admission he is quitting college, which is not the case.

It sounds like pigheadedness on behalf of the office in question. If they want to deny him btea that's up to them but he should, under no circumstances, submit that mc1.

Advertisement