Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contents insurance in a rented apartment

Options
  • 10-12-2014 8:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

if multiple people are renting an apartment (none are the owner) - is it normal that both would have their own contents insurance or that youd share one between you?

i just see some policys let you add another persons name to it as well.

whats the normal done thing here?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Personally, I would always want my own stuff insured on my own policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭user99

why do you say that?

why pay 30 a month each if you can split the 30 between you and pay 15 a month each?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Sadler32

I have insurance out in an apartment. Two of us on the same policy. The provider said it would not be a problem. The insurance provider I used when I had my house. I had to claim on it and they were very good. Full contents insurance (same value insured as when I had my house, now in rented 2 bed apartment.)with extra specified items only 250 per annum.... We pay about 10euro a month each.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pinky72

op, can you advise who you have your tenants insurance with? I am currently looking for insurance, living in a shared house with an owner occupier and want my own contents insurance. Many thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

user99 wrote: »
    why do you say that?

why pay 30 a month each if you can split the 30 between you and pay 15 a month each?

Wow insurance is €30/month in Ireland now? I have insurance for £40 for the year in the UK.

The reason why you should insure your own stuff is because anything could happen in the meantime. Your flatmate could move out and leave you with a higher bill since you've insured twice the stuff, or you could move out and it could cause extra hassle or cost to close or alter the policy.

• Advertisement

Michael D Not higgins, what is your insured sum, for the £40.

Isurance prices in Ireland are high compared to the UK...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Sadler32 wrote: »
    Michael D Not higgins, what is your insured sum, for the £40.

Isurance prices in Ireland are high compared to the UK...

£70,000 (up to, probably don't have that much stuff)

yeah as I said Irish prices are crazy. I spend alot of time in the uk and it is crazy how much more expensive Ireland is...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

why do you say that?
    If you have to claim, you don't want to find out that someone didn't keep up repayments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

why do you say that?

The other guy might make a ton of claims, honest or not, and the insurance company decide to start playing hardball when you come to try to make an honest claim

• Advertisement
Advertisement