Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can an Illness Benefit Claim be backdated?

Options
  • 10-12-2014 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

My wife was overpaid salary this year because she was retrospectively determined to be not entitled to pay while she was out sick for the summer months. She has agreed a repayment schedule with her employer via small salary deduction which will take 2 to 3 years to repay the full amount.

My question is where does that leave her in terms of Illness Benefit? If she was not entitled to salary over the summer she would have been entitled to Illness Benefit. She’s now going to have to try claiming this retrospectively? Does she have to wait until she has repaid the full overpayment of salary before she is entitled to claim the Illness Benefit? Is there a deadline by which you can back date an Illness Benefit Claim? Can you even backdate an Illness Benefit claim?

Revenue can’t answer any of this for me as it’s up to the Dept of Social Protection. She will of course be following up with the DSP but if anyone can offer any guidance it would be much appreciated.

Comments

Advertisement