Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Box full of change.

Options
  • 10-12-2014 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

I have a box full of change that I have amassed over my 4 months here. Where would I be able to get that changed into paper money. The sooner I could do this the better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dice3344

There's a machine in Tesco Paul St. where you can dump your coins in and get notes back. They do take 10% or something in return though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,514 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You could also use them in any Tesco self service till, just don't throw too many in at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Go to a bank, get little plastic bags for it. Count it, and bring it in for cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

yup, either bank or those tesco machines are the safest bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 th1nman

bank if u have all day to waste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

You could also use them in any Tesco self service till, just don't throw too many in at the same time.

Try them early in the day, everyone else seems to have the same idea and they tend to fill up. Stupid sh*tty brown coinage.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

Other countries have coin machines for lodging money into bank accounts. Cant believe we dont do this here, imagine how much money people have floating around that could be put back into circulation. I counted up my 10c 20c and 50c recently and got over 170 euro.

Beware of the coinstar machines (which are usually the ones in tesco). Some only provide credit as tesco vouchers and dont provide cash. Either way they take commission. I did use one during an internet outage and it couldnt compute the commission and didnt charge me. What luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

These guys will help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Its crazy the central bank issue statements every now and then urging people not to horde coins but offer no easy facility to exchange them. Most banks these day only accept them certain days of the week if at all, which for a start should be stopped. But also the central bank should invest in a number of coin deposit machines to put in major post offices to allow people to exchange their coins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

I end up with about €50/€60 in change each month from collecting soccer money (no copper) and my local bar/barman is happy to take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Don't go to the bank, they won't change it for you. At least Bank of Ireland wont anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭fartyarse

And Permanent TSB only take bagged coins on Tuesday mornings, according to the manager of my local branch...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Karl Stein wrote: »
    I end up with about €50/€60 in change each month from collecting soccer money (no copper) and my local bar/barman is happy to take it.

Not a bad idea actually, I've on occasion paid for petrol with bags of €1/2. Customer service desks in bigger shops might take the coppers as they would have the coin scales. Just make sure you have everything bagged correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

grenache wrote: »
    Don't go to the bank, they won't change it for you. At least Bank of Ireland wont anyway.

They will lodge it to your account though. On the two days a week that they accept coins. Tuesday and Friday in my branch.

Advertisement