Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing Machine / dryer for apt

Options
  • 10-12-2014 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭

Has anybody one of these machines they use in their apt?
    How do they work?
    Expensive to run?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Cat.OR

yeah, find them great as would have no other way to dry clothes. The dryer is expensive so if you have night saver electricity always run it overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

We have had them in the last 2 places we rented. One was useless for drying and clothes had a bit of a musty smell. The second dries perfectly.

Costwise I don't notice them being that expensive. Better than risking mould anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Fiona

I have seen this one:

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=40-03-WD9640G

Pricey but I have storage heating so putting clothes on a rad is not really an option, can't put stuff on a balcony either!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I've had washer/dryers in apartments before and didn't find them great for drying clothes. A separate washing machine and dryer might be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Most of these will wash a full load but can only dry half a load. Who takes out half a load? Result is they break down a lot

• Advertisement

miezekatze wrote: »
    I've had washer/dryers in apartments before and didn't find them great for drying clothes. A separate washing machine and dryer might be better.

No space for the two of them :(
    athtrasna wrote: »
    Most of these will wash a full load but can only dry half a load. Who takes out half a load? Result is they break down a lot

Hum didn't know they could only take half a load for drying.
    I wouldn't mind light stuff hanging on a dryer and then chuck the heavy stuff like towels and jumpers in.

Do they shrink stuff :confused:

(If so I am getting in it :D:D:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Fiona wrote: »
    No space for the two of them :(

Would there be enough room to put the dryer on top of the washing machine.
    Thats how we did ours. Get an A or B rated condensing dryer. We got a Beko B rated (model DCU 9330 W) worth every penny.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Would there be enough room to put the dryer on top of the washing machine.
    Thats how we did ours. Get an A or B rated condensing dryer. We got a Beko B rated (model DCU 9330 W) worth every penny.

No it's under the counter in the kitchen, the only way to make it work would be to take out the slimline dishwasher but you wouldn't fit a dryer in there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 jathclare

Try getting a second hand one using the usual sites, as they would be upwards of €480 new.

Just be careful though, they are very heavy and difficult to transport.

No it's under the counter in the kitchen, the only way to make it work would be to take out the slimline dishwasher but you wouldn't fit a dryer in there at all.

Would putting it in the corner of another room be an option (i have seen this done) as they don't need to be plumbed in and a condensing one doesn't need a vent tube as all the water gathers in a removable tray.

EDIT:
    Power City, Beko Dryer 270.00 euro gross weight 40kg.
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=40-10-8230W (Delivery 25.00 euro extra)

• Advertisement

jathclare wrote: »
    Try getting a second hand one using the usual sites, as they would be upwards of €480 new.

Just be careful though, they are very heavy and difficult to transport.

I will be getting the existing one taken away at the same time so I think new is the way to go as well to get warrenty just in case they do give trouble?
    Would putting it in the corner of another room be an option (i have seen this done) as they don't need to be plumbed in and a condensing one doesn't need a vent tube as all the water gathers in a removable tray.

EDIT:
    Power City, Beko Dryer 270.00 euro gross weight 40kg.
    http://www.powercity.ie/?par=40-10-8230W (Delivery 25.00 euro extra)

Maybe would have to look at pictures of the room again for size

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Fiona sorry to hijack your thread a bit but I wondered what peoples thoughts where on not having a dryer (as I find the things useless and expensive). I know they are a requirement but if a tenant and LL agree and there is another solution such as a heated clothes horse in a well ventilated (internal to the apartment) hall would it be something one would over look?

For what its worth I've never found one that worked well.

The other issue, highlighted above, is the temptation to run the thing at night. Drying I don't suspect it would be an issue but I know here we've had to have a word with tenants about spin cycles at 2am. I'd also have a (very minor) concern re fire safety having something like that on at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Fiona sorry to hijack your thread a bit but I wondered what peoples thoughts where on not having a dryer (as I find the things useless and expensive). I know they are a requirement but if a tenant and LL agree and there is another solution such as a heated clothes horse in a well ventilated (internal to the apartment) hall would it be something one would over look?

For what its worth I've never found one that worked well.

The other issue, highlighted above, is the temptation to run the thing at night. Drying I don't suspect it would be an issue but I know here we've had to have a word with tenants about spin cycles at 2am. I'd also have a (very minor) concern re fire safety having something like that on at night.

As a tenant I would have welcomed a different solution as you suggested. I always ended up having to dry stuff on a clothes horse in my hallway anyway as those washer/dryers were so useless. I have my own house now and don't own a dryer and don't want one either - when it's not raining I hang stuff outside to dry, if the weather is bad I use the wash cycle that takes a bit longer and gets stuff almost dry anyway, then hang it up inside on a clothes horse.

I wouldn't run a washing machine or dryer (or dish washer) at night or while I'm out - according to a fireman I know they can cause problems and I'd rather not risk it.

I too would be afraid to leave something like that on overnight. I don't know what my tenant uses at present but this is for me when I move in next year

I could use clothes horse I guess and get a dehumidifier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I too would be afraid to leave something like that on overnight. I don't know what my tenant uses at present but this is for me when I move in next year

We get away with a heated clothes horse under the small vent in the hall. The only place we get issues with mould is the bathroom and that's down to my wife's obsession with not having the heating on unless a small band of inuits have made igloos in the living room.

We've actually removed most of the heating from our place, we've a main storage heater in the living/dining area - on rarely even this time of year. A portable oil heater in the bedroom, literally never gets used and the wall mounted fan heater in the bathroom. The only reason I mention this is so you can gauge whether it's a similar situation in your place.

The heated clothes horses are great IMHO.

A woman that hates heat and is never cold :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I have a total fear of condensation so hence my reason for getting my washing woes in order well in advance lol!

Damp clothes drying inside a room on clothes horses will eventually lead to mould and mildew unless there is some form of air extraction and recycling system.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Damp clothes drying inside a room on clothes horses will eventually lead to mould and mildew unless there is some form of air extraction and recycling system.

A dehumidifier will solve this- and is increasingly how people living in apartments manage.

OP- I had the option of a dual washing machine/drier- or just a washing machine- and I went for the washing machine on its own (albeit a large capacity 10kg one). I was told by several people that the dual machines had a far higher failure rate- than either machine on its own- and while it has an evaporation tray- unless it was plumbed to drain, it had a habit of filling at an alarming rate.

Also guys- many apartments specify that you are not allowed run washing machines over night on noise grounds (which I can relate to). You can get a large vibrator plate for putting under the machine which reduce noise and make it a lot more apartment friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We moved from an apartment with a dual washer/dryer to a house with just a washing machine. I now dry clothes in the conservatory with a dehumidifier. Personally, I would love to have my dryer back, and not having one is one of the few negatives about our new house.

The combo washer dryer we had before was pretty good, as long as you kept the drying loads light and took the clothes out soon after finishing (otherwise creases got "ironed" in). I used to run it on a delay timer overnight on Nightsaver so things were ready in the morning when I got up. It was up against a main wall, so there was never any real noise from it.

Lots of choices here!

My friend pointed out that my bathroom is very large (stupidly big the extra space would be better served in the sitting room) so I should put a separate dryer in the bathroom so as to save on space in the living area

Would need to figure a way of plugging it in but I am sure that's easily done so perhaps separate washer and dryer could work.

• Advertisement

Lots of choices here!

My friend pointed out that my bathroom is very large (stupidly big the extra space would be better served in the sitting room) so I should put a separate dryer in the bathroom so as to save on space in the living area

Would need to figure a way of plugging it in but I am sure that's easily done so perhaps separate washer and dryer could work.

There are regulations as to what appliances you can have in a bathroom.
    I doubt you can have an extension lead set up, but I think you may be allowed a permanent connection through a fused spur. Best to call a RECI electrician for advice or pop the question over on the electrical forum.

Boards.ie Electrical Forum

There are regulations as to what appliances you can have in a bathroom.
    I doubt you can have an extension lead set up, but I think you may be allowed a permanent connection through a fused spur. Best to call a RECI electrician for advice or pop the question over on the electrical forum.

Boards.ie Electrical Forum

Yeah was thinking could put lead through a wall and have it plugged in from the outside

The two in one certainly seems the easiest option!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I regularly ran my dryer over night, well had it delayed start to run upto the end of night rate so I could empty when I awoke, and never had a bother. The only reason they'd go on fire is if you don't clean out the fluff regularly and they could just as easily go on fire during the day as night, that's why you have smoke alarms.

The great Irish builders who decided that apartments use electric storage heaters that require night rate electricity are to blame for this, it's half price to dry(or wash) at night but then they impose quite times when the electricity is cheapest and even the energy providers encourage running these items during the night. Just wait till the smart meters come in for even more noisy nights.

Ah yes storage heating another great mystery for me to unravel!!!!!

I'll set up another post for that lol!!

Very valid points a machine can go on fire day or night. What time does the nighttime rate kick in at?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Ah yes storage heating another great mystery for me to unravel!!!!!

I'll set up another post for that lol!!

Very valid points a machine can go on fire day or night. What time does the nighttime rate kick in at?

Night rate is 11pm to 8am in winter and 12am to 9am in summer, changes at the same time as the clocks.

Unless you are home all day don't bother with the storage heaters. I found that even on full heat in and lowest heat out I still need to use the fan heater to keep warm. And unless you have access to 100% accurate weather forecast you'll be in a sauna during the day with no option but to sweat it out as you can't open windows or doors as you loose all your heat.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Night rate is 11pm to 8am in winter and 12am to 9am in summer, changes at the same time as the clocks.

Unless you are home all day don't bother with the storage heaters. I found that even on full heat in and lowest heat out I still need to use the fan heater to keep warm. And unless you have access to 100% accurate weather forecast you'll be in a sauna during the day with no option but to sweat it out as you can't open windows or doors as you loose all your heat.

I wouldn't be at home all day so not really sure how to work it, I was thinking of getting some form of halogen or oil heater that I could have in each room as a supplement to the heaters.

Sure I will worry about that next year!

Advertisement