Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying to be given sub work

Options
  • 10-12-2014 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

I just came across a website that is planning on charging sub teachers to be given the chance to be offered subbing work. It looks like the NAPD are behind it. Why are the unions not kicking up a fuss? If a school needs a sub surely they should pay for the position to be advertised rather than subs having to pay to join some website!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Robroy36 wrote: »
    I just came across a website that is planning on charging sub teachers to be given the chance to be offered subbing work. It looks like the NAPD are behind it. Why are the unions not kicking up a fuss, if a school needs a sub surely they should pay for the position to be advertised rather than subs having to pay to join some website!

Because sub teachers are rarely part of a union
    I wonder sometimes are principals and deputy principals so far removed from teaching that they can't see the absolute crap pay, crap conditions/expectations put on subs, part time teachers and NQTs. They'd want to "live a week in the life of " ... To realise how finely some of these teachers thread the poverty line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

It can be very difficult to get a sub sometimes, particularly one who is qualified. So it might be useful to get one from this site. As for paying for it that's another story. I have 4 cv's this year in my box, last year I had 30+ so I don't know where all the qualified unemployed teachers are looking for work or maybe its that they have sorted other work outside teaching and aren't available for subbing.

If you think principal's are removed from the reality of nqts the you have to accept that you are just as removed from reality.

If a teacher goes sick for a week and you need a sub that particular website is the only practical solution at present unless somebody sets up a rival free service. There's enough to be done of a day apart from frantically looking for subs in ten different places when one or two would work.

As it stands I usually give subbing to our own staff on less than full hours. That's all grand unless you gave a pattern of absence of a teacher or teachers in a certain subject area (with in-service for eg) and you need some teaching to continue rather that busy work with no real value, at least with a qualified sub they can support the delivery of set work.

With the new arrangements for sick leave etc subbing requirements are at an all time low as far as I can see which is hard for new teachers. I cant see that picking up anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Personally I think the NAPD should be ashamed of themselves for supporting a service that pushes the cost on to unemployed teachers. I don't think the NAPD are removed from reality though - I think they're perfectly well aware but couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

As are the (unionised) principals using Jobbridge to fill subbing positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭man_no_plan

peckerhead wrote: »
    As are the (unionised) principals using Jobbridge to fill subbing positions.

Haven't heard of it, there's no need. If you have an allocation you can pay a sub, it's not like you can get someone to work for €50 a week and buy a new car with the money you save. If you don't have an allocation you manage your timetable within the allocation you do have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement