Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russian Billionaire bought Nobel Prize to return it*

Options
  • 10-12-2014 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭

www[dot]bbc[dot]com/news/world-europe-30406322

Mr Watson, who shared the 1962 Nobel Prize for uncovering the double helix structure of DNA, sparked an outcry in 2007 when he suggested that people of African descent were inherently less intelligent than white people.

Mr Watson said he is auctioning the Nobel Prize medal he won in 1962 for discovering the structure of DNA, because "no-one really wants to admit I exist".

Russia's richest man has revealed that he bought US scientist James Watson's Nobel Prize gold medal, and intends to return it to him.

Steel and telecoms tycoon Alisher Usmanov said Mr Watson "deserved" the medal, and that he was "distressed" the scientist had felt forced to sell it.

I am glad to see there is still some nice people left in the world.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

But didn't Mr. Watson steal some other scientist's work and not acknowledge it? Not sure he 'deserves' it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Now he can sell it again.

Result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

can't imagine how it must feel to be a billionaire. I think I'd be an international troll with some things I'd do but at the same time having the power to see a homeless person and get them off the streets for life would be too tempting to not do

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Thread here already.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement