Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease Renewal

Options
  • 10-12-2014 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi,

I have been renting my current apartment since Feb 2013. I initially signed a one year fixed lease through a letting agency. Last year on renewal the agency contacted me view confirming no rent increase, however I did not sign renewal agreement.
    Today the landlord has contacted me via email asking my intentions, if I am happy to stay on. She stated that she notes the lease has lapsed and we need to get this tightened up for both our sakes...

I am just wondering am I obliged to sign fixed term lease for year 3 as suggested or am I now technically on a part iv and can I remain on that without signing?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

You're not obligated to sign another lease true but honestly leases benefit both parties. If you intend to stay at least another 12 months then definitely sign a new lease.

You can remain in Part IV but you should have notified the landlord at least 1 month prior to the expiration of the last lease that you wished to do so. Don't be surprised if you're faced with a slight rent increase if you do wish to remain in part IV though as you're less certain in the eyes of the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 starmc14

Eldarion wrote: »
    You're not obligated to sign another lease true but honestly leases benefit both parties. If you intend to stay at least another 12 months then definitely sign a new lease.

You can remain in Part IV but you should have notified the landlord at least 1 month prior to the expiration of the last lease that you wished to do so. Don't be surprised if you're faced with a slight rent increase if you do wish to remain in part IV though as you're less certain in the eyes of the landlord.

We have decided to agree to another fixed term. We love the apartment and hopefully by agreeing we might keep any potential rent increase to a minimum :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

starmc14 wrote: »
    We have decided to agree to another fixed term. We love the apartment and hopefully by agreeing we might keep any potential rent increase to a minimum :)

Also gives you security

Advertisement