Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking dinner for one?

Options
  • 10-12-2014 2:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

I think when everything is taken into account, it is nearly as handy and cheap if one could get their dinner out everyday for say 8 or 9 squids?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

If you had that amount of squid would you not just cook calamari instead of trying to find someone to barter them with?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Handy, yes.
    Cheap, not necessarily. You can eat well and cheaply and not have to cook every day by buying and cooking in bulk and freezing stuff in portions.
    I used to work in a restaurant where a lot of the local oul lads would come in for their lunch every day, but for most of them it was more to do with a lack of cooking skills (or lack of a wife to cook for them) than to save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

I don't know what kind of dinners you're cooking for 8 or 9 euro OP.

2 chicken fillets 1.99
    400g of steak mince 2.99
    Pack of fresh veg 1.79
    Sauces 1.00

All from ALDI at the moment. That's two dinners. Stop eating Kalahari it's expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Yes, if you shop sensibly you can do great dinners for an average of about €3 or less per serving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I never eat out unless on holidays, spend less than forty quid a week on all grub, cooking for one is mad cheap if you do it right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I can make a rocking beef casserole for four, for well under a tenner. If it's not being eaten all in one go, the remainder goes into the freezer. It freezes really well, as do most stews and casseroles. If you are cooking for one, it is a very cost effective way to eat well and on the cheap

That being said, I get the OP's point. When I lived in the US, I ate out all the time. I could eat a wide variety of proper healthy food, in a wide variety of restaurants, for under a tenner. There wasn't a massive difference in what it would cost to cook it at home. But there is no doing that here, as eating out in Ireland is is so bloody expensive. Unless you are eating lots of junk food, or overly processed food, or you only ever do early bird menus, you are going to be majorly out of pocket, compared to cooking your dinner at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Stop eating Kalahari it's expensive.

it must be awful dry to :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Honey Monster

it must be awful dry to :pac:

Predictive text: Making a fool out of me since 1999!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Predictive text: Making a fool out of me since 1999!!

Hello honey monster. Want to play a game?

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    I think when everything is taken into account, it is nearly as handy and cheap if one could get their dinner out everyday for say 8 or 9 squids?

Considering the number of people who posted in the recent eat healthily on 50 euros a week? thread, I'd say no, no it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have been cooking for one for fifty years.. easy and cheap. Add that I am disabled and cooking a meal can leave me to exhausted to eat it ;)

Slow cookers are great. And this week I cooked a great pan of potatoes so am frying them and making potato salad.. tesco have them on offer for under E4 for 10 k..

For me it is the fuel costs that are more worrying.

I eat well for far less than E50 a week but dont like meat so that helps. I haunt the reduced counters!

I never eat out; like to know what I am eating. Hate the idea of eating out...

Advertisement