Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

President's Chinese jaunt getting greater play in China than here?

Options
  • 10-12-2014 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭

Strange that there is so much more about Higgins state visit to China in the Chinese media than the Irish media.

China is the coming force in the world and it could be argued this visit is the most important - well up there with the state visit to the UK.

So why the indifference here?

Sure the reporters might not know who he is nor be able to locate Ireland on a map but reading in the Irish media you would hardly know there was a state visit.

Which is bizarre considering we have far more to gain than they do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

*shrugs* eh? who knows?

Are there any more chipsticks?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    *shrugs* eh? who knows?

Are there any more chipsticks?

Ah leave it out. That's no way to treat our hosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Excellent point.

He was also in South Africa a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

The Chinese, a great bunch of lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Ah leave it out. That's no way to treat our hosts.
    Loving the way the Irish interpretor puts on a Chinese accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Strange that there is so much more about Higgins state visit to China in the Chinese media than the Irish media.

China is the coming force in the world and it could be argued this visit is the most important - well up there with the state visit to the UK.

Sure the reporters might not know who he is nor be able to locate Ireland on a map but reading in the Irish media you would hardly know there was a state visit.

Which is bizarre considering we have far more to gain than they do.

Was in Chinamanland when Xi Jing Ping came to Ireland (significantly it was one of his first foreign visits, even though he wasn't yet El Presedente at the time). Got major play in the media over there.

I think they're fond of our revolutionary credentials, and we don't have an icky bang of colonialism off us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Yurt! wrote: »
    Was in Chinamanland...

Is that a gay bar for Asian men?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Tbh this is the 1st I've heard of this alright. Then again I'm not always on the ball with what everything the Irish media might be saying. Was this not mentioned on the news at all?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Great Bunch of lads....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

China's president seems to like Ireland.He is after accepting Michael D's offer to visit here again.

China also on the way to becoming our second biggest customer for exports.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ireland-one-step-away-from-securing-access-to-chinas-51bn-beef-market-30713059.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

China's president seems to like Ireland.He is after accepting Michael D's offer to visit here again.

China also on the way to becoming our second biggest customer for exports.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/ireland-one-step-away-from-securing-access-to-chinas-51bn-beef-market-30713059.html

Simon Coveney ... Big teacher head on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Loving the way the Irish interpretor puts on a Chinese accent.

Not many people know but the chinese interpretor puts on a Cork accent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

They seem delighted to see Michael D, which is lovely. They seem to appreciate the fact he is being polite about their human rights record. Which I know Amnesty aren't too pleased about. I think we have a relatively decent profile in China given Riverdance and that TV couple getting married here. Kinda bizarre but sweet that they're so excited about him being over. And there will be a reciprocal state visit as a result which could be fun! But possibly less polite about the old human rights thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Yurt! wrote: »
    Was in Chinamanland when Xi Jing Ping came to Ireland (significantly it was one of his first foreign visits, even though he wasn't yet El Presedente at the time). Got major play in the media over there.

I think they're fond of our revolutionary credentials, and we don't have an icky bang of colonialism off us.

I think that they've heard we'd sell the arse out of our pants for a shilling and each other for considerably less.
    More to the point we'll happily allow them to indulge in all kinds of shady practices that they wouldn't get away with in any other European nation. The Chinese are the the new colonial power of this centry, they just prefer to do it with cash rather then guns (for now).

The Chinese: 'We hear you're for sale?'

MickeyD: mumblemumblehumanrightsandrespectmumble.. ..We'll take a cheque....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Interest just hasn't started Peking yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

conorhal wrote: »
    I think that they've heard we'd sell the arse out of our pants for a shilling and each other for considerably less.
    More to the point we'll happily allow them to indulge in all kinds of shady practices that they wouldn't get away with in any other European nation. The Chinese are the the new colonial power of this centry, they just prefer to do it with cash rather then guns (for now).

The Chinese: 'We hear you're for sale?'

MickeyD: mumblemumblehumanrightsandrespectmumble.. ..We'll take a cheque....

What are you actually on about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Michael D..... small and far away

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

realies wrote: »
    What are you actually on about ?

I'm on about educating yourself as to how the Chinese communist party do business and then asking yourself if these are the kind of people you want to get into bed with (hint, they'll definitely grab all the blankets).
    On top of that their human rights record is appaling, we whitter about Israeli boycotts and Russian sanctions but it's funny how fast Tibet slipped off the human rights record player when the Chinese started waving around wads of yuan about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

They are desperate for him to try out for their basketball team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I'm actually in Beijing right now and have a wee picture of me standing under the Chinese and Irish flags that are flying outside the forbidden city/ Tienanmen square.

The Chinese are not people we want to get into bed with but I'm sure the version of China that is being presented to Higgins right now is very fake.

The Chinese gov do a very good job of hiding what it's really like here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭circadian

I'm on about educating yourself as to how the Chinese communist party do business and then asking yourself if these are the kind of people you want to get into bed with (hint, they'll definitely grab all the blankets).
    On top of that their human rights record is appaling, we whitter about Israeli boycotts and Russian sanctions but it's funny how fast Tibet slipped off the human rights record player when the Chinese started waving around wads of yuan about.

There's no doubt the Chinese government has committed gross human rights infringements. I can't think of a major economic power that hasn't.

The problem is that Irelands economy is small and imposing any sort of embargo or pushing conentious agendas will most likely have a negative effect.

I agree that things need to change but as far as making a point of human rights in other nations we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Not to mention our own chronic corruption, we should really sort our own problems before pointing the finger elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Point taken sir .And would agree with you totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...Which is bizarre considering we have far more to gain than they do.

This is a huge deal to them, they don't have any proper cheese over there, poor little mites. Wait a minute... loads of cheese, butter, milk... loads more calcium in the Chinese diet... hordes of millions of seven-foot Chinese communist super-warrior types all built like Paul O'Connell... fcuk this, I'm getting out of here!! <CRASH>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

If he's at the Chinese can someone ask him to get be two spring rolls, a chicken curry with Fried Rice and bag of prawn crackers - I'll sort him for the money when he gets back.

Oh, and ask him to text when he's on the way and I'll warm up the plates.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭DeadHand

This is an excellent point.

Always struck by the relatively benign attitude we see toward China here and elsewhere while, at the same time, people compete with each other to be most disgusted by Isreal, the USA and Russia...

Three powers that China at least matches in terms of greed, aggression, cynicism and inhumanity.

If he had, for instance, visited Isreal there'd be no thread pointing out a lack of media coverage but probably several with posters howling for his immediate withdrawal, the expulsion of ambassadors and boycotts.

This, even though I suspect the Chinese government has imprisoned and executed a sight more innocent people than the Isreali government over the past year. Some are just more fashionable to condemn than others...

Also, China is far better at hiding it's evil.

Advertisement