Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of use pub to resedential

Options
  • 09-12-2014 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi all,

Has any1 any experience of the new 2014 building regs and change of use situations. I wish to convert a derilict pub to resedential. Did a pre planning meeting with the local planners. I was then referred on to building control and given very vague direction with regard to compliance. The general gist of it was consult an architect and get an opinion. So next stop an architect😬 basically the advice given was that I would need to comply with the regs which means everything would need to be done corectly.

This has Put the brakes on the project as it will blow my budget out of the water.

I'm a cash buyer and intend to renovate it with cash. Architect advised if I were to ever sell it on there could be questions raised on compliance with regs

If anyone has experience or attempted something of this nature I would be glad to here their story

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Strolling Bones

All works must comply with building regulations.
    SI 9 2014 (the new law) applies to all new dwellings so that will include you.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,253 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the law (SI9) applies to
    the design and construction of a new dwelling

therefore someone needs to decide whether a change of use to a dwelling, is applicable to SI9.

Laws do not cover every situation, and its common that decisions have to be made to determine whether situations apply or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

If it's both a pub and derelict you will need planning permision to do the works you need.

After you get planning you will have to lodge a commencement notice before you start work.

At that point the local building control officer will probably make the call for you!

Drift wrote: »
    If it's both a pub and derelict you will need planning permision to do the works you need.

After you get planning you will have to lodge a commencement notice before you start work.

At that point the local building control officer will probably make the call for you!

to be fair, the OP is doing proper due diligence and has said that if the falls under SI9 his budget will not be enough to make the project workable.
    so CN stage would be way too late to figure this out.

you could contact your local BCO but i can almost guarantee that he will err on the side of caution and say it falls within SI9.

my own impressions is that you would fall under it as you are creating a new dwelling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It falls within SI9 in my opinion too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭wicklow_hunter

Thanks for the replies guys, if the new regs apply how much of the building will I have to gut. Is it necessary to start again at the foundation level and rebuild it back up from the bottom up? My architect advised that I would need an a3 energy rating to comply with regs Is this feasible with the conversion of a 100 year old + pub, it has old stone 2 feet thick walls etc..

I'm curious of him much of the building can be salvaged to achieve an a3 rating

Oh boy oh boy. The energy conservation targets required in the building regulations for a refurbished building are significantly less than that required for a new building. You need a condition survey to be carried out by a clever and experienced architectural technician - a profesion uniquely tarined in the application of the building regulations. You will simply waste time and money talking to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

Change of use from commercial to domestic will require change of use PP. If the property has no modifications and you intend to do none and there is no new building works you will not need to comply with the current building regs. Obviously the likes of plumbing, electrics etc will need to be up to current-no pun intended-standards and codes of practice.

You could reinstate derelict sections to the old regs in theory. It is only new build of whole houses/building and extensions that the current regs apply to. If its old it needs to comply with the regs of the time of construction. Its a bit of a vague one.

Again ALL works have to comply with building regulations.
    OP protect any investment you make with appropriate professional advice.

Change of use from commercial to domestic will require change of use PP. If the property has no modifications and you intend to do none and there is no new building works you will not need to comply with the building regs. Obviously the likes of plumbing, electrics etc will need to be up to current-no pun intended-standards and codes of practice.

You could reinstate derelict sections to the old regs in theory. It is only new build of whole houses/building and extensions that the current regs apply to. If its old it need to comply with the regs of the time of construction. Its a bit of a vague one.
    #

im not quite sure thats correct.

according to the Law society's Conveyancing Handbook building regulations apply
    where a change of use occurs which, if the building had been originally designed for the new use would require a higher standard of performance to comply with the regulations than the existing use (a "material change of use")

also check building regulations 1997 section 13, which states how a "material change of use" has regulations applied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I have wondered about something similar but am nowhere near buying a house financially. I saw a pub up for sale, and for the size of it, I though it would make for a terrific house, maybe you could even keep some original features in one room and make yourself a man cave/ private lock in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

It would be worth checking to make sure the building is not a listed building OP. That would bring a whole extra set of challenges to the project.

Apologies if you have already done this - it just struck me when you mentioned the age and the fact that it was/is a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭wicklow_hunter

Drift wrote: »
    It would be worth checking to make sure the building is not a listed building OP. That would bring a whole extra set of challenges to the project.

Apologies if you have already done this - it just struck me when you mentioned the age and the fact that it was/is a pub.

Thanks for all the comments... The building is not listed. Either ways I got a long windy road ahead with this project if the sale goes thru. Has all the hallmarks of a proper man cave...

Advertisement