Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord Gais tariff standing charge

Options
  • 09-12-2014 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

I have a very small gas fire that I never use. Sometimes I turn it on around Christmas for effect, but unit wise I'd say annually I only use about 3.
    I used to pay the standing charge despite never using it, for three years.
    Anyway I finally found a tariff with bord gais that charged a higher unit price with no standing charge and have been on that for a couple of years.
    Today I received a letter saying that tariff won't exist after Dec and I can pay almost €100 a year standing charge with lower unit price or, according to customer services, have it turned off...for which there would be a €72 turning back on fee.
    Needless to say I'm not happy as it leaves me with two options that are unsuitable.
    Does anyone know if there is a similar tariff with any other provider?
    It would be great to not have it disconnected completely as it's nice to have the option of using it. Also I rent so not sure where the reconnection fee would be allocated down the road when I move out.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accommodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 23,327 ✭✭✭✭ted1

lolo62 wrote: »
    I have a very small gas fire that I never use. Sometimes I turn it on around Christmas for effect, but unit wise I'd say annually I only use about 3.
    I used to pay the standing charge despite never using it, for three years.
    Anyway I finally found a tariff with bord gais that charged a higher unit price with no standing charge and have been on that for a couple of years.
    Today I received a letter saying that tariff won't exist after Dec and I can pay almost €100 a year standing charge with lower unit price or, according to customer services, have it turned off...for which there would be a €72 turning back on fee.
    Needless to say I'm not happy as it leaves me with two options that are unsuitable.
    Does anyone know if there is a similar tariff with any other provider?
    It would be great to not have it disconnected completely as it's nice to have the option of using it. Also I rent so not sure where the reconnection fee would be allocated down the road when I move out.

Any help or advice appreciated.
    Check with an RGI plumber about getting the mains disconnected and using bottled gas. Your gas Fire may or may not be suited to propane or butane

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ted1 wrote: »
    Check with an RGI plumber about getting the mains disconnected and using bottled gas. Your gas Fire may or may not be suited to propane or butane

Even if your current gas fire isn't suited- there are several very good options out there- that are....... It wouldn't take long to recoup the cost of a new fire- from the proposed standing charges........

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

In your situation sourcing your own fuel makes considerably more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Thank you for replies!

I rent so not sure about changing the fire...I use electric for heat so don't really need it enough to propose changing it to my landlord. Although given it's smack bang in the middle of the room it would be nice to still be able to use it.

Forgive my ignorance here as I know nothing about this stuff, but where would I hook up my own bottled gas...if it's an option?
    The house is a tiny red brick terrace with no boiler etc just a little meter in the corner and a metal pipe that runs from that to the fire...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

lolo62 wrote: »
    Thank you for replies!

I rent so not sure about changing the fire...I use electric for heat so don't really need it enough to propose changing it to my landlord. Although given it's smack bang in the middle of the room it would be nice to still be able to use it.

Forgive my ignorance here as I know nothing about this stuff, but where would I hook up my own bottled gas...if it's an option?
    The house is a tiny red brick terrace with no boiler etc just a little meter in the corner and a metal pipe that runs from that to the fire...

If you rent. You have to get approval from the landlord. I doubt be will be happy with your plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

hfallada wrote: »
    If you rent. You have to get approval from the landlord. I doubt be will be happy with your plans.

I don't have any plans. It was suggested to me here. I'm just interested in finding out what's involved so I can decide whether or not to make a plan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

What about trying the ESB they resell gas if you go direct debit and e-billing you get a 10% discount just ask them about standing charges. Could you ask your LL to put in a stove instead, you'd get lots of heat the odd time you light it and over time you'd save the 100 euros a year so it would be cost neutral you could go 50:50 with them on it.

Advertisement