Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appartment leak - who responsible

Options
  • 09-12-2014 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

My family owns an apartment. Received call from the management co. Water coming from apartment into apartment below. I contacted plumber i use but he cant get there today. I contacted (2 tenants, 3rd away)tenants, they are in work and can not return to apartment. Im in work, spare keys at home. Ive left voicemail for management co. to gauge how serious leak is and to give me contact details for apartment below.

Is it my responsbility to go there and check out or tenants?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My family owns an apartment. Received call from the management co. Water coming from apartment into apartment below. I contacted plumber i use but he cant get there today. I contacted (2 tenants, 3rd away)tenants, they are in work and can not return to apartment. Im in work, spare keys at home. Ive left voicemail for management co. to gauge how serious leak is and to give me contact details for apartment below.

Yours. Liability could be a different story.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Yours. You own the unit.

It could be a fault due to the tenants (leaving a tap running or something), or it could be something you are responsible for - faulty appliance, damaged pipes, etc.

The important thing is to get someone there ASAP, turn off the water, and stop further damage.

After that you can work out what happened and how to fix it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Remember, in emergency circumstances you can enter the property without the tenants' consent.

Advertisement