Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public waiting list for hearing aids

Options
  • 09-12-2014 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

My dad's hearing has been getting progressively worse over the last few years, but he refused to do anything about it because he said he was too young to wear hearing aids! He's 62 now and his 59 year old brother recently got them, through the medical card, so he finally agreed to look into it. He went into the GP and was told the waiting list is over 2 years, which I already knew, and that he couldn't put him on the list because he's not over 65! He offered to refer him to a private audiologist. My Dad's on disability and there's no way he can afford to pay for the hearing aids. Is there really no other option than to wait another 3 years to go on the list, and then a further 2+ years to see an audiologist? I knew audiology were a bit stretched but that seems ridiculous to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭cobham

He could have a free assessment with Specsavers who will carry out a standard audiology test and assess his need for hearing aid. If you have paid PRSI there is a discounted rate. Also the cost of any device can be offset against income tax at basic rate of 20% along with other medical expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,068 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You can get a free assessment of your hearing loss with any of the high street hearing clinics. I do not think that Specsavers is any better than any of the others, in fact I was not particularly impressed by their hearing service, even though I get all my eye tests and glasses from them.

Unfortunately it is probably true that he will have problems getting aids on the medical card, though I am not sure what the 'not yet 65' has to do with it, you might check that out further. Hearing aids are expensive, but the price varies depending on what kind of aid is needed. The kind of aid you get is not necessarily a matter of preference or 'the more you pay the better it is'. With some kinds of hearing loss a simpler aid might be sufficient.

If he is being persuaded into hearing aids he might not have the interest or incentive to learn to use them, they are not 'plug and play' and it is easy to not bother persisting with them.

Advertisement