Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mold in Rented Accommodation

Options
  • 09-12-2014 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi guys,

I was looking to get some advice. I moved into a house in January of this year.

Almost immediately (like 2 weeks later) we began to see mold growing in the bathroom. We said it to the landlord and they eventually painted over it and installed vents over the doors of our rooms.

They sat us down and told us not to do certain things anymore (like dry clothes on the bannisters, dry clothes on the radiators, open windows after we have a shower etc).

We followed all their advice and alas mold still grew. We just started cleaning it away ourselves because it didnt seem like the problem was solved.

So over the last month or so since it's gotten so cold, we've seen mold grown in the house all over. There's some in my friends room, on the landing, in the hall near the door, in the kitchen. It looks dreadful.

Can the landlord blame us for this? We followed all of their advice. I'm really worried about it.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Is the flat on the ground floor? Check that the guttering isn't blocked or broken. You could buy a dehumidifier. I've not used one myself, but I've heard they're excellent for drying out rooms. Fairly cheap to run too.

How do you dry your clothes? If there's nowhere to dry them, and the complex does not allow outside drying, then by law the landlord has to supply a tumble dryer. Has he done this and do you use it?

The windows should be open while you're in the shower and for about 10-15 minutes after. Do you do this?

How often is the heating run? You should run the heating for a couple of hours morning and evening.

Finally - what are you using to clean the mould with? Use bleach and boiling water to kill the mould, then spray with grapefruit oil to keep the mould off.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 angrygrad

Thanks for the reply.

Its a 2 storey house. We don't have a dehumidifier. I dont know if its worth our while since we'll be leaving in a month.

When we moved in there were 3 big holes in the back bedroom, the kitchen and in the bathroom. The bathroom was only covered up properly in about March. I think its important to note that the house is absolutely freezing.

Up until recently (about 3 weeks ago) we've been drying our clothes inside. Our landlord told us he'd get us a dryer in April and only got us it 3 weeks ago because I complained that my clothes have not been drying.

We always open the window after a shower for about that amount of time.

I've been sneakily turning on the heating without my housemates knowledge maybe for a half hour every 3 days. We have an oil tank out the back and its expensive to fill up, plus the lock is broken on it so we can't even check what oil we have left . Do you reckon its the lack of heating in the house? Could they blame us for that? Could they charge us for damage to the house???

I've just been cleaning it with hot water. I'll definitely try bleach and grapefruit oil when we're cleaning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

bleach and water, definitely better than just water.
    ventilation is important but it's awful that it's freezing cold too but i don't think it would cause mould to grow that fast.

So is there any chance its a structural problem with the house? I dont think its insulated properly

If it's a house, did/have you checked the guttering? Might be blocked or broken.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭AfterHrsProp

angrygrad wrote: »
    So is there any chance its a structural problem with the house? I dont think its insulated properly

Most likely, its as a result of poor insulation in the construction of the property. Do you know what type of walls you have, cavity block or cavity walls? Are the windows double glazed?

From the sounds of it, there has been a problem with mold for some time & the landlord has just been painting over it.

All in all unless you get an expert in to properly have a look at the property you wont know for certain.

I would wait & see how the landlord deals with this, if they keep your deposit & try to blame you for this, I would lodge a case with the PRTB & contact threshold.

I haven't checked the guttering... I'll suggest that to the landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Thanks for the reply.

Its a 2 storey house. We don't have a dehumidifier. I dont know if its worth our while since we'll be leaving in a month.

When we moved in there were 3 big holes in the back bedroom, the kitchen and in the bathroom. The bathroom was only covered up properly in about March. I think its important to note that the house is absolutely freezing.

Up until recently (about 3 weeks ago) we've been drying our clothes inside. Our landlord told us he'd get us a dryer in April and only got us it 3 weeks ago because I complained that my clothes have not been drying.

We always open the window after a shower for about that amount of time.

I've been sneakily turning on the heating without my housemates knowledge maybe for a half hour every 3 days. We have an oil tank out the back and its expensive to fill up, plus the lock is broken on it so we can't even check what oil we have left . Do you reckon its the lack of heating in the house? Could they blame us for that? Could they charge us for damage to the house???

I've just been cleaning it with hot water. I'll definitely try bleach and grapefruit oil when we're cleaning it.

Your drying clothes inside and not heating the house sufficiently, no wonder you have mould.

ventilation is important but it's awful that it's freezing cold too but i don't think it would cause mould to grow that fast.

Proper ventilation (i.e. the removal of moisture from the house) won't work if the house isn't sufficiently heated.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

MicktheMan wrote: »
    Your drying clothes inside and not heating the house sufficiently, no wonder you have mould.

This .

• Advertisement

How do you mean structural problem?
    Any house no matter how well it's built/insulated can have mould problems if the right conditions are allowed to persist

Well it's landlords fault for not supplying us with a dryer when he said he would.

How do you mean structural problem?
    Any house no matter how well it's built/insulated can have mould problems if the right conditions are allowed to persist

I meant bad insulation

Well it's landlords fault for not supplying us with a dryer when he said he would.

Correct, however, you've "been sneakily turning on the heating maybe for a half hour every 3 days". This tells me that you have been living in an unheated house essentially. If this is the case, then having a clothes dryer or not is moot as there would be enough moisture available from other household activities to allow mould to thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

He would not have been obliged to get you a dryer as you have outside space. As you are moving out imminently, the priority is to clean the mould, and ensure no more grows before you move out. There are very good chemical sprays out there to clear the mould. For the next couple of weeks, use the dryer or clothes line, heat the house for at least an hour a day, and you should be ok for your deposit.

Wrong. You live in a house and presumably have a garden. Therefore you DID have somewhere to dry clothes in better weather. By law, the landlord has to supply a dryer only if there are no other means of drying. It was nice of the landlord to do that IMO.

You have to take more responsibility here, OP. Some of the issues might be down to the quality of the build, but some of the problems seem to be self-inflicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭RORY O CONNOR

Hi guys,

I was looking to get some advice. I moved into a house in January of this year.

Almost immediately (like 2 weeks later) we began to see mold growing in the bathroom. We said it to the landlord and they eventually painted over it and installed vents over the doors of our rooms.

They sat us down and told us not to do certain things anymore (like dry clothes on the bannisters, dry clothes on the radiators, open windows after we have a shower etc).

We followed all their advice and alas mold still grew. We just started cleaning it away ourselves because it didnt seem like the problem was solved.

So over the last month or so since it's gotten so cold, we've seen mold grown in the house all over. There's some in my friends room, on the landing, in the hall near the door, in the kitchen. It looks dreadful.

Can the landlord blame us for this? We followed all of their advice. I'm really worried about it.

Thanks

If the mould is growing all over the walls it is most likely that there is little or poor insulation on the walls. As its gotten colder in recent weeks the heating is on and the warm air is condensing on the cold walls.

Advertisement