Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Austria conditions

Options
  • 09-12-2014 7:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Going to Austria zell am see over Xmas. It's looking pretty green at the moment. what happens if IT stays like this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

You pray, then you hope it's cold enough for cannons to operate! Failing that you partake in many other activities available in resort. It's early still snow is coming slowly this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

dubgirl15 wrote: »
    Going to Austria zell am see over Xmas. It's looking pretty green at the moment. what happens if IT stays like this ?

It's only a 15 minute bus trip to the glacier in Kaprun, so you're guaranteed snow there. It would be busier than normal if Zell am See isn't open though, that's the only drawback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

... and the gondola ride up to the glacier is scary! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭G2DG

Same for Mayrhofen
    cormee wrote: »
    It's only a 15 minute bus trip to the glacier in Kaprun, so you're guaranteed snow there. It would be busier than normal if Zell am See isn't open though, that's the only drawback.

Was thinking this might be an option. But wasn't sure if it would be ok for beginners.

How cold does it have to be for the cannons to become an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

G2DG wrote: »
    Was thinking this might be an option. But wasn't sure if it would be ok for beginners.

Glaciers tend to be relatively flat and wide on the surface, so they are good for beginners. Obviously there are variations, but in general they are less good for advanced skiers than for beginners.

z

• Advertisement

zagmund wrote: »
    Glaciers tend to be relatively flat and wide on the surface, so they are good for beginners. Obviously there are variations, but in general they are less good for advanced skiers than for beginners.

z

Good stuff, I can relax a little so!

zagmund wrote: »

z

The first run off the top of Hintertux is a VERY VERY STEEP Red! and narrow, Tux i However it is open to mid station right now and the top of Mayrhofen is over 2,000 meters so the upper slopes should be open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Just go over to Kaprun, some of their pistes are already open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Fattes wrote: »
    The first run off the top of Hintertux is a VERY VERY STEEP Red! and narrow, Tux i However it is open to mid station right now and the top of Mayrhofen is over 2,000 meters so the upper slopes should be open

"tend to be"

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Tux looks awesome at the moment. Can't wait to get there next year. Hope to learn some flatground tricks on the wide run to the mid station or develop some new injuries. The first red is steep and I really to feel bad for the beginners going up there for lessons.

The trees above Mayrhofen were white today which is a good sign for the hills above. There's also Ahorn which is very good for beginners and Rastkogel on the same ski pass. As far as I know the first snow on the ground in the village itself last season was in April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Yea St Anton looked the part today as well.

I always go second full week of Jan and usually start panicking around this time of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Yea St Anton looked the part today as well.

I always go second full week of Jan and usually start panicking around this time of the year.

Trust in March is my best advice for Austria. I've had amazing conditions on Paddy's Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Probably a good shout generally but despite this freak attack I'm having I'll keep the faith.

March always has traditionally always had the best conditions but ssshhhhh don't tell anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

March always has traditionally always had the best conditions but ssshhhhh don't tell anyone

Heh. I've moved to the US so I'm telling everyone <sticks tongue out>

The big secret is New Mexico's ski resorts, I skiied in November this year on a $25 lift ticket...er nevermind.

...dammit, said too much.

A little off topic but is there / where's best for watching soccer / rugby matches in Mayrhofen?

A little off topic but is there / where's best for watching soccer / rugby matches in Mayrhofen?

Scotland Yard or Mo's probably Scotland yard would have the better atmosphere.

The Swiss poking fun at both their neighbors and Austrian resorts current conditions right now!!

http://vimeo.com/114959799

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Scotland Yard or Mo's probably Scotland yard would have the better atmosphere.

You know I've never seen a tv in there. Very strange. Good pint of Guinness though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,096 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

There's a great bar down the end of town called the movie bar,has big screens and I wentvthere to watch rugby and soccer .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Never heard of The Movie Bar in Mayrhofen, must check it out in February. The only place we found showing the 6 Nations last year was a small bar called Mikes Sportsbar.
    If the snow is in short supply in Zell Am Zee I would get the lift down the last bit. It's fairly steep on most runs back into the town and it gets icy and they only make narrow tracks of snow to say that it's open.

Movie bar is opposite the Nehaus hotel entrance under the annex to the hotel, and near the railway station, not sure it opens every night but defo wed-Sun good little spot when it is busy

Yeah Movie Bar had Liverpool Aresnal Game and have a couple more later in week.

Being a beginner I have no idea of conditions are good or bad but I have been down blue 2 here and it was fine.

For anyone else heading out. Mikes Sportsbar is the best spot for watching games. Movie Bar mostly showing German league and the smoke in there is brutal (I'm a non smoker) Mikes is the spot!

Apart from that, I love skiing having only done it for a week and loved Mayrhofen too. Lovely town. Would certainly go back. Had organised it through Crystal and probably wouldn't do that again just because they seem a little all over the shop. The ski school we used was SMT and they were superb.

Stayed in Hotel Obermair, was ok not great but didn't matter when you're in the room so little. Bit of a trek to the Penken though so would try be further up the town.

Already have my name down with a group that go every year for the end of February!!

Advertisement