Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Gift

Options
  • 09-12-2014 5:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

So guys random question, kinda with a girl and well Christmas is coming up, what would be a recommended gift, like Im not sure what I should do at all

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

L'Occitaine gift set.

Free delivery on all orders and their products are my missuses favourites, and she is very fickle about things like this.

http://ie.loccitane.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

If it's a new girl and your first Christmas she may not like being hinted at that her skin is dry!

Mine likes that stuff too but personally wouldn't go for it if I'm only 'kinda' seeing a girl.

Play safe. Jewellery / watch / perfume / etc
    Don't go clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Slattsy wrote: »
    Play safe. Jewellery / watch / perfume / etc
    Don't go clothes.

*alarm bells*!!!

apparently, some believe a watch is a 'secret engagement' / the last gift before an engagement!

A nice gift set, or maybe a voucher for a nice beauty / treatment place if she likes that sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

whiskeyman wrote: »
    *alarm bells*!!!

apparently, some believe a watch is a 'secret engagement' / the last gift before an engagement!

Funnily enough I had a female friend who believed a gift of a watch was a signal that the relationship (when not married) was 'timed' i.e. it would end at some point in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

tinz18 wrote: »
    Funnily enough I had a female friend who believed a gift of a watch was a signal that the relationship (when not married) was 'timed' i.e. it would end at some point in the near future.

Yup - my wife was of the same view!

Perfume is always a safe one I think..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

I'd not heard of this watch thing before, very interesting.

Mind you, I once gave a long term girlfriend a watch and she was with someone else within 12 months, my head is completely done in now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Voucher for wherever she gets her hair done should be safe enough.....Or some pampering day out with her sister/friend etc.....or a nite away in a fancy hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Have people not heard of watches being a poor gift to give an OH - puts time on the relationship apparently :(

I'm with Business Cat on the L'Occitaine gift set. They're very well packaged - looks very good as a box set and they're good quality too from what I've been told from a few people - must actually try for myself.

All in all - if you've only been seeing each other a short while then something like this is perfect, Perfume can be hit and miss unless you know exactly what one she loves and a watch is too much imo....plus the 'time' curse :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

tinz18 wrote: »

People don't really still believe those old wives tales do they?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

D'Agger wrote: »
    Have people not heard of watches being a poor gift to give an OH - puts time on the relationship apparently :(

I gotten 2 watches off my wife in the last couple of years. Do you think she is hinting at something?:(

OP, it really depends on what she likes. All we could suggest here are safe generic presents without knowing her personally or knowing your budget

• Advertisement

If you are just kinda with a girl OP I wouldn't go to any great expense. Maybe a voucher for something she is into or a ticket to a show or something like that. Have a look at the deals sites, some good bargains out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

eviltwin wrote: »
    People don't really still believe those old wives tales do they?

Nah, it's just a saying though....but your OH could be superstitious
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I gotten 2 watches of my wife in the last couple of years. Do you think she is hinting at something?:(

Well that parting by death vow you took with the wife has you covered for time I'd say PR :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

D'Agger wrote: »
    Well that parting by death vow you took with the wife has you covered for time I'd say PR :pac:

I am not sure she is taking them seriously. I keep reminding her of the 'honour and obey' one and she tells me to flog off

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Budget?

How long are you going out?

Maybe something like a digital camera or an MP3 player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Budget wouldnt actually be a problem like if I was with her for a while, but we havent put a label on it yet, even though she hinted strongly she wanted to :o Like met her a month ago, so like probably got with her the wrong time off the year :pac:

astonaidan wrote: »
    Budget wouldnt actually be a problem like if I was with her for a while, but we havent put a label on it yet, even though she hinted strongly she wanted to :o Like met her a month ago, so like probably got with her the wrong time off the year :pac:

A month in is way too soon to be buying anything expensive or meaningful imo. Maybe something like a book? A 2015 diary maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭swpb

Definately not a diary I'm sorry that is the worst gift ever! I wouldn't be impressed with that. Pamper package and intimate night out just the two of you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

Do not get her a diary unless you want her filling next year up with dates with other guys :P

Business Cats idea is top so far, I'd be quite happy with a l'occitane set or if you want to go down the jewellery route, check out Alex & Ani Bracelets, not too expensive and each one has a different meaning. Most jewellers do them now.

http://www.alexandani.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Presents don't necessary define a relationship especially when its new and just seeing each other/casual or if relationship not defined. Keep it simple and low key. Its the thought that counts and gesture. Just be careful what to buy not too cheap or not too OTT but within budget! A voucher, bracelet/necklace something useful or something to remember you by. If she is into going getting her nails done/salon could get a voucher for that? Depends what she likes and what she is into? You couldn't go wrong with perfume! A gift card might suit depending where she clothes shop the most. Grab one are great for special deals. A pamper package might be a bit expensive but would be nice.

Molton brown/l'occtaine are nice shower/bath/hand/body lotion products. Next are nice too.

I wouldn't be buying anything techy that's pricey, unless she appreciate it.

Advertisement