Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would working negatively impact chance of housing?

Options
  • 09-12-2014 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

Ok, to summarise as much as possible.

My brother lives with me 5 nights a week. One of those nights, he has his 2 children (6 & 8 boy & girl) stay over. They sleep in the small spare room.

I live with my wife and 4 kids (aged 1 to 11) in a 3 bed house with converted attic.

The other 2 nights, he stays at our dads 2 bed Apt with the kids on both nights and my dad gives up his room on those nights. The kids stay with their mother on the other 4 nights, as per a custody/access agreement through mediation.

My brother has applied for housing and is waiting for an answer from the council to see if they will help him. Nowhere is taking rent allowance and the amount is not sufficient in either case, even for a 2 bed apt.

He wants to work and have a place to call home. But, he is terrified and confused by mixed information received. If he is given a thumbs up from the council, will the blessing of him getting a job negatively impact his chances of being housed? He is worried about this, because it also takes away his rent allowance entitlement (which is a false hope imo) and that he will end up homeless.

I am doing all I can as his younger brother, but there is only so much I can do and the situation cannot be long term, as it simply isn't good for anyone. His kids are being shifted around 3 different properties every week,which just isn't fair.

Is there something more than can be done? He has approached the local political puppets, but everyone does that, so it's not likely going to be of any use. I can see he just wants to work and contribute, but is afraid of doing anything at this stage.

Edit: I should add that he is now on longterm unemployment benefit and due to stress of the loss of our older brother, moving from Sweden back home to Ireland and then his marriage break-up, his GP has contacted the welfare, so that they don't bother him and cause him distress. Both he and his GP believe that a stable living environment of his own would be a massive help for him (and his kids of course).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭doc11

If he's working and earning over the threshold he wouldn't be eligible for council housing and even below the threshold he'll be compared to those who aren't means wise, which might mean he'd be pushed down the list.

But he'll be playing an awfully long game as a single man looking for a council house regardless, when the children's immediate housing need is satisfied by their mother. How many years is he planning to stay unemployed for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

doc11 wrote: »
    If he's working and earning over the threshold he wouldn't be eligible for council housing and even below the threshold he'll be compared to those who aren't means wise, which might mean he'd be pushed down the list.

But he'll be playing an awfully long game as a single man looking for a council house regardless, when the children's immediate housing need is satisfied by their mother. How many years is he planning to stay unemployed for?

That's just it though. My brother has custody for half the week. I won't go into detail, but he has to have them half the time, which includes 3 of 4 nights per week. I don't think he "plans" to stay unemployed, but the cards are very much stacked against him it would seem.

Recently, I spoke to a welfare officer and briefly explained the situation. She seemed to think that the childrens housing needs were not being met, because they did not have a stable home for half the week. Of course, they were not sleeping on the street, or anything, but she said he would be much higher on the list than a "single man" due to his situation.

I'm not sure how long we can keep providing this type of support, because it is causing my family a lot of stress. A Friend suggested I contact the council by letter and explain the situation, but I can't see how that would help in any way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Is the Housing list now based on a length basis rather than points basis?

Either way OP, your brother should be working and renting. Social housing takes years. These are the earning thresholds: http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,29414,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

snubbleste wrote: »
    Is the Housing list now based on a length basis rather than points basis?

Either way OP, your brother should be working and renting. Social housing takes years. These are the earning thresholds: http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Housing/FileDownLoad,29414,en.pdf

I'm not very familiar with what supports he would maintain, or lose. He has a medical card, which he needs,mas his mental health requires him to have access to his GP and cover his medication, which keeps him balanced and functional. He is educated only to junior cert and is just about literate, but would have no confidence to go back to education, at least not anything academic. That aside, he would not earn enough to be able to rent and cover bills. Plus, rents are rising. Moving out of Dublin is not a practical solution either, because his childcare responsibilities would make it impossible.

I hate to see anyone on the dole, but I must admit that I find it hard to see a workable solution in this case. It really is a welfare trap. If he was housed (and i know people have been on the list for years) then I think he would feel confident enough to get a job and pay his way. If getting a job hinders your chances of getting housed, then I can understand why so many people remain unemployed. We should all be able to pay our way, but not everyone can. It's embarrassing for him to be living here with me.

He rang the council today to ask about a response to a letter he sent 3 months ago to the welfare officer. The lady was most unhelpful. Didn't answer his question and instead just said that "there are people on the list for 10 years". She just wanted to get him off the phone. He was deflated after the call. It's the same old rhetoric, but they don't really play by the rules. I know a friend of mine who was only on the list just over a year. At the time, he had 1 kid from a 1 night stand, which he had said he had part-time custody (a very exaggerated truth). He had 1 kid with his then partner, now wife and who was pregnant at the time. He hassled the council office every day and within months, they caved and gave him a 3 bed house in coolock. That was 3 years ago and they still had people waiting 10 years and in far worse circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

What did he work at before? Not seeking employment or training due to concern it may affect his chances of getting social housing is crazy. He will be years and years waiting.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement