Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black belt grading (kickboxing)

Options
  • 09-12-2014 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

Been kickboxing for 9 years now and the time has finally come to grade for my black belt. Which, to be honest couldn't of come at a worst time. It's on teusday (same day of my Xmas exams). I was hoping to get some advice about how to preform to the best of my ability. Oh and also does anyone know any high energy foods and preferably drinks I could take to boost my energy levels during the grading?

Any reply appericiated. Regards, Kevin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭MW2FAN

Tuesday the 16th may I add.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

If you've been kickboxing for 9 years, you can probably wait a bit longer to get a black belt, no? Depending on what exams you're taking (secondary school, college, whatever) they'll probably affect your life more than getting a black belt, and you should focus on them .. (Actually scratch that, exams are definitely more important as the only thing that changes after one is the colour of the belt you wear.)

Assuming you're taking an exam in the morning and grading in the evening;

- Scrambled eggs and salmon in the morning (brain fuel, for your exam y'know?)
    - Pasta 1-2 hours before your grading starts, banana 30 minutes before starting.

Plus something in the mid afternoon to keep up your energy levels -- this really depends on when your exam and gradings are scheduled for though.

Thanks nic, they're only Xmas exams for secondary school. I'm planning on getting this belt and then taking a break for the JC. I had a pre grading last night, without the warm up and a bit less of the time and felt as if I'm prepared for it. But, I began to loose energy about an hour and a half into it. Thanks for the reply!����

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

Tbh it's the sort of thing where you will most likely get it once you don't b*tch and moan and your still standing at the end. And thanks haha��

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 paulol

best of luck with the tests ;-)

Passed it, very difficult but almost 10'years of hard work payed off!!����

MW2FAN wrote: »
    Passed it, very difficult but almost 10'years of hard work payed off!!����

wear it well ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Just to drag this up again, I'm after starting kickboxing and I'm looking to grade soon, what exactly is involved? Everyone i've asked is a bit vague about it :o

Also, well done on getting the black :)

Just to drag this up again, I'm after starting kickboxing and I'm looking to grade soon, what exactly is involved? Everyone i've asked is a bit vague about it :o

i would say that would depend on the association you are grading under. do you know what group your club is associated with??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

paulol wrote: »
    i would say that would depend on the association you are grading under. do you know what group your club is associated with??

As far as I know, it's the M.A.I I'm not too sure though, they're a small club based in smithfield if thats any good to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

For legal reasons, we are not allowed to discuss Martial Arts Inc here and I will have to close the thread if you mention them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭dubdamo

Similar , Mugendo club close to me, was wondering is the grading system similar to judo, where you have to compete, or say Shotokan where you work through a syllabus. I use those two systems because they are the two I am most familiar with. I'm 45 so not too interested in the competion scene.

better off to ask the coach you intend to train you to black belt.

My grading invlolved a 45 minute warm up from a personal trainer in the club. It then moved onto an hour or so of pads and then we moved to 3v1 fights then 2v1s then into singular fights. It then finished with toe-to-toe fights. Then a warm down and finally the certificates were presented and belts given. I'm certified under WAKO btw.

Most likely all gradings differ between clubs.

paulol wrote: »
    wear it well ;)

I will! Thanks:D

Advertisement