Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back Boiler Stove or Oil?

Options
  • 08-12-2014 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I have a back boiler stove which I use for mainly burning coal, Its a Stanley Waterford Stove that can heat up to 9 radiators, our homes has 10 radiators, I have the radiator switched of in the room where the stove is so it only heats 9. The problem we have is for the amount of coal we burn it doesn't seem to heat the house as good as we would like. I have checked the thermostat and it set to 45c and the pump is on setting 1, which has three settings.
    When I turn the thermostat to 55c the pipes at the stove and upstairs start to creek and make a hissing sound, so i turn it back down, does it make this sound because the pipes are getting hotter and i need to put the pump on setting 2, I just need some help on setting this right to get the best out what we burn on coal. If this is the best setting I have it set on well maybe going back to oil is the way to go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Paulcmusik wrote: »
    Hi, I have a back boiler stove which I use for mainly burning coal, Its a Stanley Waterford Stove that can heat up to 9 radiators, our homes has 10 radiators, I have the radiator switched of in the room where the stove is so it only heats 9. The problem we have is for the amount of coal we burn it doesn't seem to heat the house as good as we would like. I have checked the thermostat and it set to 45c and the pump is on setting 1, which has three settings.
    When I turn the thermostat to 55c the pipes at the stove and upstairs start to creek and make a hissing sound, so i turn it back down, does it make this sound because the pipes are getting hotter and i need to put the pump on setting 2, I just need some help on setting this right to get the best out what we burn on coal. If this is the best setting I have it set on well maybe going back oil is the way to go.

The stat should be set to 60. 55 minimum. If the pipes are making noise at this temp then it's either piped wrong, has a blockage or is caked up with sludge inside the pipe or boiler

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Paulcmusik

To me it looks like its plumbed right the pipes look like the right size and seem to be going it the place, it funny that it make this sound by increasing it by 10c, To be honest we had thought of flushing the whole system out, but money is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Usually the pipe stat is located such a distance away that by the time water at 55o hits the pipe stat the water in the boiler of the stove is a lot hotter thus the cracking noise, stoves are not very controllable, and as for it heating"9 rads", take that with a pinch of salt, they run on average, with the best of fuel, at around 76 - 78% efficient, save the coal and turn on the oil.

Advertisement