Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Ever Had Eggnog?

Options
  • 08-12-2014 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭

So myself and my mother were having a conversation about festive food and drink to have at Christmas time and we were trying to think about things we've never had before.

And I said eggnog, apparently Americans love the stuff, as far as I know you can't get it here. So I was thinking about making it myself, I think you can have it with or without alcohol.

So has anyone ever had eggnog? if so what's it like? Did you put alcohol in it? Is there a particular knack to making it?

Lets hear ye!

Comments

No but I've always wanted to try it! Can I call over to your house if you make it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

It's up there with meatloaf, peanut butter and Twinkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

No but I've always wanted to try it! Can I call over to your house if you make it?

Sure you can! Bring Danish Butter Cookies, love those at Christmas time...bring those and you shall recieve some nog :P

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Sure you can! Bring Danish Butter Cookies, love those at Christmas time...bring those and you shall recieve some nog :P

Deal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

It's like a custardy, liquified snot.
    Vile stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

I made this one year, thought it was lovely!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bols Advocaat. There was a bottle in my folks' house for years and then it disappeared but nobody ever drank any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I had it in the states at Christmas about 20 years ago. From what I recall it was delicious.

KeithM89 wrote: »
    It's like a custardy, liquified snot.
    Vile stuff.

Noooooooo!

More bourbon/rum in it so....a lot use it as an ingredient according to what I'm reading on it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I had an eggnog latte in the auld Starbucks once. Not bad!

• Advertisement

McChubbin wrote: »

€742 though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's like curdled Baileys.

Yuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Yeah, I've made it before for Christmas parties. It's nice, but about one glass is all you can take before your teeth start falling out.

McChubbin wrote: »

We're not long after getting a Starbucks where I'm living, must pop down. I was in one in John Lennon Airport once, took me about quarter of an hour to decide on a drink, stuck with a "Supreme Hot Chocolate" was feckin gorgeous.

I was never one for really fancy time consuming coffees, watching coffee shop workers these days make me tired, very time consuming and exhausting looking at a staff member making a fancy coffee, it's almost an art now! haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Like drinking the ingredients for pancakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Like drinking the ingredients for pancakes.

More like a brandy milkshake - at least the way I make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

It's awful stuff. An even worse version is 'the snowball', which is egg nog with added white lemonade. Mr Pumpkinseeds loves egg nog, I can't even bear to see it in the cupboard.

It's awful stuff. An even worse version is 'the snowball', which is egg nog with added white lemonade. Mr Pumpkinseeds loves egg nog, I can't even bear to see it in the cupboard.

Ha I remember Snowballs, My Gran (RIP) used to love them, they were in a little green bottle, used to see her having them at Christmas when I was a kid. Haven't seen a Snowball bottle in about 15 years, do they still make that? My mam would keel over if I got my hands on some.

It's up there with meatloaf, peanut butter and Twinkies.

Oh and I've had Twinkies, those new trendy expensive sweetshops that have opened all over the place, they all stock imported American sweets. Most of them do Twinkies.

Overrated, just a bland somewhat sweet moist cake with a non strong vanilla cream in the middle. Not worth being overcharged for! I was dissappointed because I know the black Cop in Die Hard loves them haha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

zcorpian88 wrote: »
    Ha I remember Snowballs, My Gran (RIP) used to love them, they were in a little green bottle, used to see her having them at Christmas when I was a kid. Haven't seen a Snowball bottle in about 15 years, do they still make that? My mam would keel over if I got my hands on some.
    You should get your mother a present for Christmas.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/liqueur-cocktails/goldwell-snowball/#/tab/opi

• Advertisement

You should get your mother a present for Christmas.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/liqueur-cocktails/goldwell-snowball/#/tab/opi

Cool! Badly Drunk Boy, I'd be nervous about that arriving in once piece, might chance it as a last resort surprise, thanks bud

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Its like Santa Clause - there's no such thing. It only exists in the Christmas episodes of American sitcoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Had it whilst in IT Carlow. Vile stuff. I was sober at the time, but still nearly puked.

Advertisement