Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert English

Options
  • 08-12-2014 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I've started to put together a study plan for myself, that I will hopefully start after Christmas. As was wondering what should I do to improve in English. I know to read often but is there any research on different writing techniques or just anything at all to research. What should I do during my English study block. So far I have just done King Lear in English class.
    Is there anything I should be doing outside of the English class?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

In ty I read one on my comparative texts which I think has helped me now I suppose. Just read and enjoy!! That way ur 'studying' but also having fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 amyoconnor350

Was going to post a separate topic thingy but I think this would be relevant here :)
    Im not too strong at the composing section of the higher level english paper.
    Do people really learn things off to reproduce on the day? Im fairly stuck...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

Was going to post a separate topic thingy but I think this would be relevant here :)

You may learn certain points but not the essay. Keep things clear for you, don't be learning off waffle. Some people will be lucky with what they learn off, others it will pay them a dead price. So brainstorm loads of different areas but don't rely on learned off material to get you a good
    grade. You have 75mins or so, and only need to write 3.5 pages. Q.B is two pages 35 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Find what writing style suits you. I know that my strongest compositions are those where you must argue/persuade your point or give a speech. So every essay I do for class is one of that style. I then learn what type of language I need to use and make solid points etc. I've only done 4 full composition questions this year of this style but it's always something relating to young people, heroes or something/someone inspirational. I tried narrative stories etc. and they just didn't suit me, no matter how hard I tried! Practice makes perfect.

Some people learn full stories off and reproduce them on the day, but it is rare this will happen. Generally people would write 4/5 really good essays throughout the school year and might take the storylines etc. that worked well and try to fit that into the given title on the day. You're better to spend 10/15 minutes at the start of the 75 minutes making a solid plan. You know where you'll start and where you'll end up.

This site has useful for tips for English!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Learning and reproducing stuff was something that worried me too. About a day or two before the exam someone I knew asked me how many short stories I had learned off , which was zero!

My plan this year was to never answer the short story because generally people do learn them off to change slightly to fit the title . Grind schools seem to focus on learning off short stories so you need a high standard. So I avoided them in the leaving cert.

My aim was to always do the speech . I liked the speech writing and found it was something I was good at because I like the debating side of it and arguing your point was something I was always good at.

My main structure was an opening paragraph which discussed the title and what I was going to write about in my paragraphs . The aim of my length was approx 1100-1200 words of 5-6 pages of my hand writing . Good length was imperative to getting to getting a good mark is what I was always told. At least>1000 words anyway if you can.
    The most important thing about the opening paragraph is the hook . You need to have at least one which should make your audience want to keep reading. It's also important to know your target audience before you start .

Start every composition with a plan . Don't be afraid to use the entire page , you paid for the paper after all.
    Mine were always like spider webs . Plan your opening and discussion . Now write down 5 key points . One point for each of your 5 main paragraphs . Develop them and write how they are relevant to your title . Now I would write down 3 to 4 famous quotes or rhetorical questions . I used one relevant famous quote per point I discussed and found it very helpful in relating my point to the title .

Identify your stlye . In speech writing it's the language of persuasion and argumentative language . You should have learned the features of each . Your speech should always engage the audience and always ask rhetorical questions . Back up your points with fact . Use concise language and no waffling. Most importantly answer the question!!!! This is what your are marked for , being concise and to the point .

Structure is very important . Opening . Skip a line first paragraph . This bit is nb! Every paragraph should start with a topic sentence . This is key to integrating your points of discussion with the title . Mention the title in your own words in every paragraph and whether you agree or disagree. Skip a line between each paragraph . Each paragraph should be about 3/4 of a page and no longer.

The closing . A quick summary of the points you made is vital . Even just mention the topics of discussion and how they applied to your title . Finish with a rhetorical question or another quote relevant to the title .

Timing - this is worth the most marks if I remember correct . So devote your time accordingly . Equal time per paragraph and always keep an eye on the time . The leaving cert is just as much about strategy and efficient time utilisation .

Finally remember the marking scheme . Mechanics - spelling syntax etc.. No excuse to lose marks here.
    Context should be covered by your points of expression which relate to the points of discussion . Clarity of purpose- is it relevant or waffle ? Coherence of delivery- it needs to flow from start to finish .

Reading is the best way to get an impressive vocabulary and if you want to seem erudite in your speech then watch the news and be aware of current affairs and global news .

Hope this helps some bit . This certainly worked for me but everyone has a different style . The lc isn't as bad as it seems . When you have finished your paper 1 you will see what I mean hopefully . This has gone on long enough if you want any more advice feel free to ask .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 tmel2111

Sarah165 wrote: »
    I've started to put together a study plan for myself, that I will hopefully start after Christmas. As was wondering what should I do to improve in English. I know to read often but is there any research on different writing techniques or just anything at all to research. What should I do during my English study block. So far I have just done King Lear in English class.
    Is there anything I should be doing outside of the English class?

It is always a good idea to try include grammar revision in your study plan, in addition to your range of vocabulary. Reading often will certainly help improve this, but it's also a good idea to have a look at some websites that include useful tips and tricks. A well written piece of work will leave a lasting impression on the person reading it.

Perhaps have a look at The Revision Genie on Wordpress or The Grammar Girl site. Hope this helps.

Advertisement