Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert History Research Topic Help

Options
  • 08-12-2014 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50

So I need to pick a research topic for history for leaving cert...I was looking at the Manson Family or the Jonestown Massacre but I'm not sure if they're historically relevant. I've been also looking at Coca Cola, the McCarthy Witchhunts or if not maybe the Black Power Salute of the '86 Mexico Olympics. Any help would be much appreciated 😄

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

So I need to pick a research topic for history for leaving cert...I was looking at the Manson Family or the Jonestown Massacre but I'm not sure if they're historically relevant. I've been also looking at Coca Cola, the McCarthy Witchhunts or if not maybe the Black Power Salute of the '86 Mexico Olympics. Any help would be much appreciated 😄

Generally it's better to pick a local topic (a local topic is from Ireland, not just from your local area) or even a "foreign" topic that relates back to Ireland/an Irish person of Historical relevance. It's also easier to get sources if it's on a local topic, I didn't have to go further than my local library for all of my sources whereas people in my class doing "foreign" topics have had to order books from America which have taken over a month to reach them or others who have had to contact libraries or archives in other countries, which is pretty difficult for them.

Also, be specific in our topic. Don't just pick a person of historical relevance, pick an specific event that they partook in, if that makes sense.

Here isa guide to the research project, but you probably know most of this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

They all appear to be really interesting topics. I personally would advise against the Manson Family, but if you can justify it, then go ahead. Also, the McCarthy red scare of the 1950s is part of the US topic course, so again, I would probably advise against doing that. The black power salute was used in 1968.

The Jonestown Massacre will have ample material online and in libraries and there's documentaries about it on youtube.

Advertisement