Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

people with disabilities discrimination / public / jobs etc

Options
  • 08-12-2014 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I feel there's allot of people who have a very mild learning disability who tend to get discriminated against especially in the work environment & applying for work .
    for example if they are employed the people the work for will have the sweeping the floor & allot of the time they are intelligent people who want to do well just like the rest of us & when the ask to do something else the manager will tell them he/shes busy at the moment . the same can apply if not getting enough hours if they ask , the manger might say due to cutback or your lucky to have a job the typical stuff they tend to say to avoid question

what are peoples opinions on this topic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You cant be intelligent and have a learning disability. The two are clearly mutually exclusive.

I doubt someone would get one job and be told to do another, if they do they are free to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Oldschoolguy

GarIT Your missing the discussion there . Ive noticed allot of the time on certain jobs i've had there tends to be people who have very mild disabilities tend to be discriminated against in the job & just giving the simple answer sweep the floor not properly challenged which is wrong .

I've never noticed that, personally it has never happened to me. I don't understand what you mean by the last sentence.

You are saying that their disability doesn't affect their job performance but they are told to do menial tasks outside the scope of their job description anyway?

GarIT it wouldn't be something managers companies would make public

GarIT it wouldn't be something managers companies would make public

What wouldn't? I've never seen a colleague being asked to do a job they they weren't supposed to do. I'd notice if somebody was away from what they were supposed,to be doing and were cleaning instead.

• Advertisement

GarIT Well do you have disability ?since you said you've never been discriminated against thought id ask

Never been discriminated against, but I don't broadcast it either.

Assuming what you are saying happens does I don't see a problem with it. If somebody isn't up to the task of doing their job they are lucky that they are offered the opportunity to clean rather than being told to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

GarIT wrote: »
    You cant be intelligent and have a learning disability. The two are clearly mutually exclusive.
    Really?

Somebody should tell Steve Jobs, Michael Faraday, Dean Kamen and others so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_diagnosed_with_dyslexia

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Snow_White1987

I have very mild Cerebral Palsy myself, it just affects my walking and balance slightly, and at 27 ( I've been working since I was 17), thankfully I've never been discriminated in this way in the work place. I'd be horrified if I saw this type of behaviour going on!

I felt I've always gotten jobs based on my abilities (I went to college for years and worked very hard to get work), but I guess you never can tell if the reason you didn't get the job if you have CP of any other form of disability (I hate the term - it's so negative) is because of that.

Advertisement